Ice Fishing 2014-2015 Season Ice Fishing 2014-2015 Season Ice Fishing 2014-2015 Season Ice Fishing 2014-2015 Season
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by troy1976 View Post
    count me in matt. i only been on lake once during the hard water season. would like to try some more
    Troy was that you at the clelands with the clam in the back of the truck already?

Quote Originally Posted by Firetiger View Post
    Id be happy with just half the season we had last year, its was one for the record books. I just hope to see it again like that in my lifetime, when you can go out by West Sister and even past........ Hopefully will see you and Jeff out there again this year !

We will be there Bob

Matt, were they using handheld marine radios, or some other type of radio.
    Thanks Pat

Quote Originally Posted by FearGod View Post
    Matt, were they using handheld marine radios, or some other type of radio.
    Thanks Pat
    They where just using Motorola Talk Abouts, which are just the basic Family Bands.

-Matt

Smile ice shantie

Yes it was troy, he was dropping off this new shantie to CAPT.. Mike this makes shantie No. 16 ready to go for this upcoming season, we also have seven sleds ready to taxi any one out again this season. Hopefully some one will top our first mate Mike king 15 lb walleye weight on a cert. scale, caught less than two miles off shore, with no one around us. Picture of this hog is on Reel Sport Charter LLC under ice fishing guide 2014.
    Lets pray for ice.
    Capt. Mike Reel Sport Charters, Your four season licensed guide
    Reel Sport charters LLC
    Reel Sport charters LLC _ Marblehead Ohio
    419 265 2736

In ya'll's opinion what are a good set of dates to use as a rough estimate of the ice fishing season? Is Jan 15th - March 15th reasonable??

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    Yes it was troy, he was dropping off this new shantie to CAPT.. Mike this makes shantie No. 16 ready to go for this upcoming season, we also have seven sleds ready to taxi any one out again this season. Hopefully some one will top our first mate Mike king 15 lb walleye weight on a cert. scale, caught less than two miles off shore, with no one around us. Picture of this hog is on Reel Sport Charter LLC under ice fishing guide 2014.
    Lets pray for ice.
    Capt. Mike Reel Sport Charters, Your four season licensed guide
    Reel Sport charters LLC
    Reel Sport charters LLC _ Marblehead Ohio
    419 265 2736
    15Lbs!!!! Oh my goodness! You didn't keep it did you? Just think of all those eggs and future walleye that you killed. How dare you catch such a big fat female fish? You should be banned from fishing walleye for the rest of your life.

There are an estimated 20-30 million walleye age 2 and older in the Lake. Taking into account that a 30" + walleye has less than 20% of her eggs fertile enough to produce fry, and that she probably has roughly 100,000 eggs, that would mean that 20,000 eggs are actually fertile in that fish. Then, approximately 20% of those will actually be fertilized by a male, that gives us about 4,000 eggs from that fish will hatch. COnsidering that about 1 in 10,000 hatched fry will survive to adulthood....

For every one of those fish that you keep, you are actually killing 4/10ths of another fish, or for every 4 of those that you keep you are actually killing an additional 1.6 future fish.

According to that math, if you limit in the Winter with all really big fat females (4 man limit) then you are doing less (killing 5.6 fish) to impact the walleye population than if you go out later in the year and catch 6 post spawn fish.

But wait, some of those 6 fish you catch later that aren't currently pregnant, would be pregnant later in the year, so it is the same as catching them with or without eggs then, right?

PS - Sorry, I couldn't resist... I figure someone is bound to bring this up sooner of later in an ice fishing forum. All tongue & cheek of course!

-Matt

Default interested

Matt; very interested in your " hypotheical" place to say. I been fishing Erie since 1984 on the ice. I ice fished 72 days last winter all over. Last 3 days on Erie 12 fish 98 lbs. I will be up next week for some bank fishing ( lakeside. catawba, sandusky bay, huron lighthouse, etc.) What about parking space at Lakeside with truck and trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by stampman View Post
    Matt; very interested in your " hypotheical" place to say. I been fishing Erie since 1984 on the ice. I ice fished 72 days last winter all over. Last 3 days on Erie 12 fish 98 lbs. I will be up next week for some bank fishing ( lakeside. catawba, sandusky bay, huron lighthouse, etc.) What about parking space at Lakeside with truck and trailer?
    Check your private messages.

Smile ice dates

all the years I have been on the ice, the best fishing has been
    feb 6 to ice breaks up, I don't know why but this date allways works, just my option. And that 15 lb, is on mike king wall.