Fishfinder Fishfinder Fishfinder Fishfinder

Thread: Fishfinder

Default Fishfinder

Looking to purchase new fishfinder. I am mainly a perch fisherman but i am slowly learning walleye fishing but i am not a troller. I only fish lake erie. Is there any benefits to getting side imaging? What should i look for? Any suggesting would be appreciated

I'll throw in my 2 cents..... on the side imaging - it doesn't really cover a great distance, so in my mind it's not really worth the price for open water Lake Erie... the unit with downscan and Chirp will show you some great detail for perch fish, and show you the walleye as well. More 2 cents - I'd stay away from Lowrance - I'm still hearing nightmare stories about piss-poor customer service in the event you have any problems with your stuff.

Hoping Juls chimes in on this - she's a Humminbird freak! She can give more details on those features.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

I am sure the side imaging has been discussed here do a search on the subject but my opinion is it's not necessary on Erie but a down imaging would be the better of the two options. You should be getting some answers on this subject for sure.

I have sent you a PM also.

Gene

I was leaning towards a garmin echomap or a humminbird helix. Both have chirp. Been watching for a good sale before spring. I should have purchased on black friday

N.I.B. Garmin Striker 7DV check your PM more info.

Gene.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Eric View Post
    I'll throw in my 2 cents..... on the side imaging - it doesn't really cover a great distance, so in my mind it's not really worth the price for open water Lake Erie... the unit with downscan and Chirp will show you some great detail for perch fish, and show you the walleye as well. More 2 cents - I'd stay away from Lowrance - I'm still hearing nightmare stories about piss-poor customer service in the event you have any problems with your stuff.

Hoping Juls chimes in on this - she's a Humminbird freak! She can give more details on those features.
    I feel it is only fair to say that I have had nothing but great customer service from Lowrance. So good in fact that I recently purchased a new HDS unit right before the Brawl, when it came it would not start-up, I called for assistance and had a Brand new unit at my door before I even sent the first unit back. That was some of the best customer service I have ever received from any company. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those but, Lowrance all the way for me.

I also suggest "N.I.B. Garmin Striker 7DV" for Fishfinder. I also hear some great & best review for N.I.B. Garmin Striker 7DV !

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyfish View Post
    I feel it is only fair to say that I have had nothing but great customer service from Lowrance. So good in fact that I recently purchased a new HDS unit right before the Brawl, when it came it would not start-up, I called for assistance and had a Brand new unit at my door before I even sent the first unit back. That was some of the best customer service I have ever received from any company. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about those but, Lowrance all the way for me.
    I'm very glad to hear that! I've had many, many Lowrance products throughout the years - and I've liked the products and performance! Easy to use and easy to read.... my only issue recently has been the customer service (not me personally, like I said before). Sounds like they could be improving in that area!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Garmin used to not have a true down facing transducer element. They stitched together 2 wider angle cones to create the down image. I don't know if that has changed. I heard side scan on Erie open water isn't really helpful, and the water clarity doesn't help alot........but if night fall fishing the shallows maybe it will help.......I have yet to use one personally, but my new unit is a simrad go7, it does have side scan, but I bought it for the price, 400 bucks including the total scan transducer. From what I found it should be very similar to a lowrance elite tI 7.

It sounds like you not needing networking and all that stuff so the unit like the hds, oniks, and paying for all of that stuff you don't need doesn't make sense I wanted a ti7, but only because my.family boat ha's an elite 5......no fishing I only use it for GPS and dept, and the elite 7ti uses the same mount and it could do double duty, but it was 200+ bucks more than this deal.

Lowrance has a new hook2 series that I think uses a smaller transducer.....I know the plug end is alot small no more 1" hole to get through the hull, which is something I have hated about lowrance for a long time. The new series includes side, down,chirp, all for like 650 for a 7" unit.

Just do a lot of homework, find out what your needs are

Couple videos i used to help me make up my.mind, the second video is really long but has a ton of info I never new about sonar b4.

https://youtu.be/s1ll1q6WHkk

https://youtu.be/2Q9izOwp1aU
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 01-15-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo