transducer info transducer info transducer info transducer info
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transducer info

Default transducer info

just bought a new hds unit for my 27 sportcraft would like to get a nice thru hull transducer for it.i see in buckeyebobs post the air mar b60 was talked about what do you guys think.also while were on the subject I have a 19ft aluminum boat with the factory lowrance transom mount that will not mark above a fast idle.its a welded hull so there is no ribs in hull and I have moved it to angle forward and back with no results .its mounted about 10 inches up from the keel any thoughts thanks in advance for any help

I have HDS units and the Air Mar b60 mounted in our 27' Sportcraft. I can mark fish at full throttle. I have, on quite a few occasions, been headed somewhere and stopped and fished marks I found running at full throttle. It just takes a few times of slowing down to get a better look and you'll start learning what good marks look like at high speed. If needed, I can take a picture of where I mounted it. Basically, Port side of the engine, mid way just inside the stringer. I know you can spend a bunch more on transducers, but the b60 has served me well.

Greg

I think the p66 would be the b60 transom mount equivilant for your 19 footer on your 27 the b 60 will do great we run the b 260 and love airmar transducers!
    Thanks
    Capt Erik
    Bose-Man Sportfishing

Quote Originally Posted by BILLY JOE View Post
    just bought a new hds unit for my 27 sportcraft would like to get a nice thru hull transducer for it.i see in buckeyebobs post the air mar b60 was talked about what do you guys think.also while were on the subject I have a 19ft aluminum boat with the factory lowrance transom mount that will not mark above a fast idle.its a welded hull so there is no ribs in hull and I have moved it to angle forward and back with no results .its mounted about 10 inches up from the keel any thoughts thanks in advance for any help
    You need to call Gill. I believe that he is by far the most knowledgeable person that I have ever met in regards to transducers, who is willing to share his knowledge. Make sure that you have looked at a few and he is more than happy to tell you about the pros and cons to all.

Gill tests transducers for major systems and he knows the electronics and everything there is to know about the entire system. He can pair you up based on your boat, Head unit, body of water and skill level.

I was getting ready to buy a B260 for around $1,000 thinking that it was the best one on the market... Gill asked me if I hunt, and I said yes. He then told me that for Lake Erie a B260 was like using a 10x scope on a 30 -06 shooting a deer 20' away.

I don't know that he wants his number in the forums, but I'm happy to give it out to anyone who PM's me or texts me. My number is 740-591-5507

If anyone else knows Gill feel free to say what you think of him.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    You need to call Gill. I believe that he is by far the most knowledgeable person that I have ever met in regards to transducers, who is willing to share his knowledge. Make sure that you have looked at a few and he is more than happy to tell you about the pros and cons to all.

Gill tests transducers for major systems and he knows the electronics and everything there is to know about the entire system. He can pair you up based on your boat, Head unit, body of water and skill level.

I was getting ready to buy a B260 for around $1,000 thinking that it was the best one on the market... Gill asked me if I hunt, and I said yes. He then told me that for Lake Erie a B260 was like using a 10x scope on a 30 -06 shooting a deer 20' away.

I don't know that he wants his number in the forums, but I'm happy to give it out to anyone who PM's me or texts me. My number is 740-591-5507

If anyone else knows Gill feel free to say what you think of him.

-Matt
    Gill is the man he is who helped us! And yes b260 has a very narrow beam for Lake Erie but also gives u unmatched clarity when on plane in my opinion the b60 will give you a wider view for shallower water which will allow you to scan a bigger area of the water colum which will let you mark more fish. I think our b260 only mark like a 30ft circle under the boat in 30 fow but they work well for us! One reason we got it was for bottom discrimination on our furuno fish finders as it was one of the only options for the bottom discrimination to work.
    Last edited by bowguy84; 11-20-2014 at 07:01 PM.
    Thanks
    Capt Erik
    Bose-Man Sportfishing

I am considering the purchase of an Airmar P66-BL 600W 50/200 kHz Transom Mount Triducer for my HDS 5X sonar! I believe it is the equivalent of the B60 thru the hull model. I just cannot fathom the thought of cutting a 2 & 1/8" hole in the bottom of my boat so I am leaning toward the transom mounted version.

Are the Airmar transducers that much better than the junk that is bundled with the HDS units as a package and marketed by Lowrance/Simrad? By buying a better transducer maybe I can realize more of the potential this HDS 5X unit is supposed to provide and not have to spend the bucks for another stand alone sonar. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I am considering the purchase of an Airmar P66-BL 600W 50/200 kHz Transom Mount Triducer for my HDS 5X sonar! I believe it is the equivalent of the B60 thru the hull model. I just cannot fathom the thought of cutting a 2 & 1/8" hole in the bottom of my boat so I am leaning toward the transom mounted version.

Are the Airmar transducers that much better than the junk that is bundled with the HDS units as a package and marketed by Lowrance/Simrad? By buying a better transducer maybe I can realize more of the potential this HDS 5X unit is supposed to provide and not have to spend the bucks for another stand alone sonar. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Wakina. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. But here is what I will tell you. Using the transom mounted transducer on your HDS unit is like hooking rabbit ear antenna up inside your home to the latest 72" LED Ultra High Def $5,000 TV and trying to watch a channel broadcast 50 miles away with more static and "snow" noise in the screen than color... Then bragging about having a Ultra High Def TV.

The air bubbles produced by the transom of the boat and the noise and garbage that they pick up is more of an issue than the quality of the transducer itself. You don't even need to ask or worry about the quality of the transducer if you are going to put in off the transom.

My 2 cents. Drill the hole. It's not that hard and it is very easy to make sure the integrity of the hull is in tact. I use marine tex epoxy and fill the entire hole around the transducer with it. It is probably the most solid 2.125" in the bottom of my boat.

-Matt

Yep... drill the hole. Measure several times then drill the pilot hole and make sure it's going to work out then drill the big hole. No big deal lol

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by walleye2go View Post
    Yep... drill the hole. Measure several times then drill the pilot hole and make sure it's going to work out then drill the big hole. No big deal lol

Greg
    The first time you do it, take the boat out of the water first. It is easier that way.

If you have a inboard the transom mount will not perform well past 6 or 7 knots because of prop wash if you have I/o or outbard you will be just fine and shouldn't notice my h difference.
    Thanks
    Capt Erik
    Bose-Man Sportfishing