propane auger owners propane auger owners propane auger owners propane auger owners

Default propane auger owners

I need to set-up my atv and snowmobile for hauling my propane auger, Q is, they say lay it , plug up, which when hauling would make it unstable and tall, do any others have a propane auger , how do you haul yours ? I'm thinking handles laying down, not standing on one side, just don't wanna foul plugs doin this, all help is appreciated, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fishin2 View Post
    I need to set-up my atv and snowmobile for hauling my propane auger, Q is, they say lay it , plug up, which when hauling would make it unstable and tall, do any others have a propane auger , how do you haul yours ? I'm thinking handles laying down, not standing on one side, just don't wanna foul plugs doin this, all help is appreciated, Mike
    Okay... I'm gonna sorta hijack this topic since no one has answered. I am looking at augers and want to know if anyone uses a propane one and what they think of it. Answer the guy above too if you can, but any info on propane augers would be appreciated.

-Matt

Default Jiffy Brand

Well, called the company, seems the 49cc motors, aka pro4, you need to store,transport and lay them with the plug end facing up, kinda high profile if you will, however, the pro 4 LITE model has the 34 or 39 cc motor, they say that auger can be layed down in any direction. A totally different style motor, still 4 cycle though. they say theres only 5 lbs difference between the 2 models, I purchased the Jiffy Pro4, 9" size, bathroom scales say 36 lbs with oil. Tried a fella's last year on erie and wow, it cut 20 inches of ice like butter, quieter running and the motor has some rpm's. Can't wait to give er a try. As far as transporting, they say to support the head unit good, that's all the weight, so gonna make a box for atv or break it down while transporting, Mike

The most likely reason for that type of instructions would be to keep the oil out of the air breather. Even lawn mowers must be tilted in a certain way when servicing the blade to keep the engine oil from saturating the air filter cartridge and possibly entering the cylinder thru an open intake valve and fouling the plug. 4 cycle outboard kickers must also be hauled and stored in a certain way to avoid the same problem.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default oil / carb

Yea, they said laying other than plug up would allow case oil to migrate thru breather hose into carb, it's a shame , smaller cc motor doesn't matter, betr they'll change that scenario soon, thanks all, Mike

I bought a 10" propane auger when they first came out. I absolutely love it. They definetely recommend storing and transporting with the spark plug up. What I did for ice travel was cut out a piece of 2x12 treated lumber to fit the gearcase to support the weight of the head, with the plug facing up. i bolted the treated wood to the cargo rack on my snowmobile. Havent had any issues hauling it that way yet.

I made a cardboard template of the gearcase on my propane auger, then transferred it to 2x12 treated lumber and cut a piece out to fit the rear rack on my snowmobile. Hauls great with no issues, plug facing up. Supporting it by the gearcase takes the stress off the bearings and keeps the heavy powerhead supported. I love the auger, cuts ice great and is easy to operate.

Default snowmobile with no rack

I gotta figure something without the rack design, got a thread on another site showing a snowmobile mount, just gonna modify it to hold the weight by the handle, 3 point system, like I did on my atv, 2 quick grips on handle, 1 on auger end and a 2x6 T board for the middle, ought to be able to stand on it and it not bend !! Anyhow, if anyone comes up with a pristine idea, shoot, I can always change, Thanks, Mike