new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to trolling

Default new to trolling

this is my first year trolling and i need some serious help. went out yesterday and ended up with zero bites. tried bandits on boards at 50 back and jets at 65 back with harness. i'm not too sure on how far back i need to put bandits to get them down to 25 feet. trolled all day over at k can at about 2 mph. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Reel_Deal View Post
    this is my first year trolling and i need some serious help. went out yesterday and ended up with zero bites. tried bandits on boards at 50 back and jets at 65 back with harness. i'm not too sure on how far back i need to put bandits to get them down to 25 feet. trolled all day over at k can at about 2 mph. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out my reply to the "Bandit depth" thread in this forum.

I don't think there is 25ft of water at k can? 200 ft back is about 22 ft. I don't think you will get any deeper without help. But 100 back is about 20. Most ppl don't go much over 120 back on bandits

Most posts I seen for the past few days thier bandits where ran from 35 to 50 so I would say you where fishing under them, could slow down to 1.5 to 1.8

25' down is really deep especially this time of year because the water near the surface is warmer for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    25' down is really deep especially this time of year because the water near the surface is warmer for the most part
    so if marking at 24 ft should i have the bait about 5 feet above or so? also does it matter how far off the boat the boards are?

Above is always better, eyes feed up. At 50 back your only fishing 13' down,if you go by the chart. I was there in early April and was targeting fish about that same depth, ran 100' Leeds did well. Right now looks like most are catching fish in the top of the water column, alot of those fish you won't mark on your finder because of the cone angle,unless you have side imageing . In dirtier water it's not as bad if your boards are closer to the boat. In clean water I like to run them out further, boat traffic plays a role in how far you run them out also. There are always exceptions to the rule. Iast year I caught fish straight off the stern,no boards, ultra clear water,but long leeds, 125' back in late June. The water was rough though, breaks up the light penetration,etc.
    Last edited by Frank; 05-15-2017 at 12:18 AM.

What size jets? Line size, I would start around 1.8 mph

most guys use the tru trip 40 instead of buying all the various sizes. With any trolling device that needs to be tripped it is best to use braid because the stretch of mono makes it tough to trip. this weekend we ran bandits from 60-90 back in 30 fow and ran at 2.0 gps speed and done well. the water was dirty so only the chrome based bandits caught fish.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/trollin...rs/910250.aspx

I agree on the 40 size whether it's tru trips or Jets. I've really only used Jets and it takes away from some of the fun of reeling in the fish as you fight the Jet as well. Tru trips are pretty much the same thing but the bite releases the diver from working so you fight more of just the fish. As with my planer boards, I personally don't like anything set to trip as I get false trips. Maybe that wouldn't happen with Tru Trips... I know on boards I'll have them set just right and then a big wave trips them. Now I just keep them in line and take them off during the reel in process. Both choices have a very strong benefit over dipsy's as they float if you stop. Dipsy's sink...
    Last edited by Pauken23; 05-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.