Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

-20160304_141417-jpghere is a small sample of what you'll need. 800 series reef runners, deep husky jerks, skinny sticks, perfect 10s. Haven't gotten into the custom huskies yet. I'm sure I will in time though. Also with the perfect 10s you'll need snap weights. Typically the fish will be up high, top 12' of the water column. C can Niagara areas will hold fish in April. Also lots of good areas around the islands. Starve island reef area is always a "go to spot" in April and may. It is worth noting that typically you want to avoid fishing both super clear water and really stained brown water. Ideally I just want to be able to see the anticavitation plate on the engine so long as the water has that blue/green color to it. Your ideal trolling speed will be somewhere between 1 and 1.5 mph.

Don't ask me why the pick is upside down. I seam to have that problem a lot on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEye View Post
    Don't ask me why the pick is upside down. I seam to have that problem a lot on this site.
    I'll help you out!

-20160304_141417-jpg
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

What about hot n tots or wiggle warts?

Thanks Wakina. I think the problem is a smart phone in dumb hands.
    Last edited by ErieEye; 03-04-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Still use the H182 and H183 a lot off dipsys and downriggers and flat lines and will drag wiggle warts off bottom bouncer sinkers with much success. My favorite bottom lure is the hot tiger Rattle Tot. I run most of the stick baits mentioned in this thread but it is nice to go back to the old tried and true and see that they still work. Newer isn't always better so I keep an open mind....
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 03-07-2016 at 08:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ErieEye View Post
    here is a small sample of what you'll need.
    Not sure I can swing a collection like that! If I had all those, I just sit in the boat and admire 'em!

Perfect 10's are on the top left?

In my own personal experience, here are the top five factors for trolling success for Erie 'eyes

1.) speed
    2.) speed
    3.) speed
    4.) speed
    5.) everything else.

Again, my own personal experience and opinion is the wrong crank bait trolled through a pack of 'eyes will always out catch the "right" lure trolled at the wrong speed.

A small selection of DHJ's, P10s, and/or RRs coupled with mastering speed and depth will get you 80% there. Then after you've mastered speed/depth control fine tune the color, style, and wobble will get you the next 20%. I learned the hard (and expensive) way that if you are trolling and not catching anything it's probably speed more than lure.

Again, my personal opinion/experience.

In my experience in the dirty water in the spring RR 800 will out fish huskey jerks. I think they give off more vibrations so the fish can find them better. I also bump my speed up to 1.4-1.5 to get more action out of the lure. Seem to always limit out.

Depth is the number one factor. Especially in spring the fish will chase bait in the upper water column. Set backs can be as little as 10' at times. You put a crank under those fish and you'll never catch them. Last spring the fish were unusually deep and and I didn't encounter many high fish. You won't see these fish on your electronics either. You just have to fish for them and see if they're up there. Second you need to be able to control your speed effectively. Some of us big boats have to put out 4 bags or more early in the year. There are a lot of good colors but fire tiger, Barbie, eriedescent, green flash, purple perch are some of my go to's. Basically whites, purples, greens and firetiger usually work just fine. Last year I started with one side bandits and one side deep husky's. Within an hour I had all bandits on and never fished any other bait until I switched to jets in May.