Mustad Hooks Mustad Hooks Mustad Hooks Mustad Hooks

Thread: Mustad Hooks

Blog Entries

Default Mustad Hooks

Hello,
    Has anyone used the "Mustad Slow Death Hooks" for Walleye rigs? I guess they're used with bottom bouncers and with inline for drifting or trolling(?). I see a picture of one on the Net, "4' Prop Dart Walleye Rig with a #2 Slow Death Hook". In a video they show how it spins in use with a bottom bouncer due to it's unique bends and crooked shape.
    Thanks.

I have used slow death rigs for 4-5 years now. But I fish reservoirs in Nebraska and South Dakota. They are very effective for us. We do run them with bottom bouncers usually in 20 fow or less. I am making my first trip to Erie this May and I will have some along to try. I use the #1 hooks because they are stronger. The #2 will bend and I don't think I get a good hook set with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goosechaser View Post
    I have used slow death rigs for 4-5 years now. But I fish reservoirs in Nebraska and South Dakota. They are very effective for us. We do run them with bottom bouncers usually in 20 fow or less. I am making my first trip to Erie this May and I will have some along to try. I use the #1 hooks because they are stronger. The #2 will bend and I don't think I get a good hook set with them.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Good to hear that you'll be fishing Lake Erie this May. And it's a good idea to keep your eye on this site for tips and info if needed. Ask any questions and you're sure to get a lot of responses. Will you bring a boat? If so, be safe! Too many times people get into serious trouble on this lake because they don't understand the conditions and how they sometimes make sudden changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks for the advice.
    Good to hear that you'll be fishing Lake Erie this May. And it's a good idea to keep your eye on this site for tips and info if needed. Ask any questions and you're sure to get a lot of responses. Will you bring a boat? If so, be safe! Too many times people get into serious trouble on this lake because they don't understand the conditions and how they sometimes make sudden changes.
    We will be fishing with a guide the first two days of our trip. She is going to show us the ropes (hint hint) and then we will fish out of my own equipment. I have gathered a lot of great info from this site already in preparation for this trip. I have tied crawler harnesses over the winter and stocked up on cranks. Once the weather turns nice I will make some test runs on my local lake to make sure everything is working. I need to read up on the boat regulations or requirements for Erie yet. I am excited to learn about this great body of water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goosechaser View Post
    We will be fishing with a guide the first two days of our trip. She is going to show us the ropes (hint hint) and then we will fish out of my own equipment. I have gathered a lot of great info from this site already in preparation for this trip. I have tied crawler harnesses over the winter and stocked up on cranks. Once the weather turns nice I will make some test runs on my local lake to make sure everything is working. I need to read up on the boat regulations or requirements for Erie yet. I am excited to learn about this great body of water.
    I'm going to guess that when you say "she" as your guide you're talking about Capt. Jules(?). I've never met her but from all the positive feedback I see on line she well deserves to be a top rated guide for Lake Erie. You may also want to read up on the possibility of fishing Canadian waters too.

I have fished Erie for years and still get help reading on here. The only thing I can say from my years on Erie is April is a jig month on the reefs, May is drift fishing off the reefs or trolling Bandits or Reef Runners, June will be trolling worm harness. This has always worked for me.