Bottom Paint? Bottom Paint? Bottom Paint? Bottom Paint?

Thread: Bottom Paint?

Default Bottom Paint?

Is bottom paint a necessity if I put the boat in a marina? If so, is that DIY job or should I have someone do it? Recommendations?

Thanks
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Definitely necessary if you leave it in any length of time. You will have a mess wit the algae. Some guys do their own and roll it on with the thicker green paint. With that method I think it is an every year deal. I have my dealer paint mine with the slick style paint. Get 3 or 4 years out of that. If I remember it is 450 or 500 bucks to have it done, so 150 - 200 year for my 22 footer.

Default Bottom Paint

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    Is bottom paint a necessity if I put the boat in a marina? If so, is that DIY job or should I have someone do it? Recommendations?

Thanks
    I once made the mistake of docking a boat for the season without bottom paint. To say I was sorry would be an understatement. At that time we had a boat at Fenwick. There are a lot of things to consider with bottom paint.I don't consider it A fun do it yourself job, but it is one that you can do yourself and save considerable money. Has it ever been painted before ? if so ,what type of paint ? Again , do a little homework and I am confident you'll have good results. I use an alblative paint that wears during the seasons use exposing fresh biocides as it wears. Comes in many price ranges and colors. If done correctly you wont need to do it every year. I am not an expert on the subject. Lots of info on line about bottom paint. I strongly recommend bottom paint for a boat docked for the season unless you plan on pulling it out from time to time to scrub the bottom.

I agree with everything here. You need bottom paint and a multi season ablative is what I would go with. Lots of options there. Don't forget about barrier coat though. If you are going to be in the water full time, you need that to make sure you don't get moisture into the fiberglass long term. It goes on under the bottom paint and shouldn't need to be reapplied. You'll just need to re do the paint whenever it starts to wear off.

Any recommendations on a place to have it done?

I would recommend 4 to 5 coats of barrier coat like (2000e) to protect the fiberglass and 3 coats of vc-17m. It is the easiest clean up and it does not have to be done every year just touched up. A