Anchor Recommendation? Anchor Recommendation? Anchor Recommendation? Anchor Recommendation?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anchor Recommendation?

I have a fluke/Danforth anchor I got from Walmart for $20-$30. Last time out I had trouble getting it to hold, even after moving a few times.

Any recommendations on a better anchor to hold my 20' boat? What seems to work for everyone?

Thanks
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

Quote Originally Posted by fishNtails View Post
    I have a fluke/Danforth anchor I got from Walmart for $20-$30. Last time out I had trouble getting it to hold, even after moving a few times.

Any recommendations on a better anchor to hold my 20' boat? What seems to work for everyone?

Thanks
    I had issues with the anchor I had on my 20ft Grady and replaced it with a Mantus. That thing holds like crazy compared to the danforth it has never broke loose on us.

That's weird. I have a 8# Danforth style and it hooks up and holds better than any anchor I've used. I have a Delta anchor in the bow and it doesn't work near as well.

I'm assuming that you have plenty of chain and the anchor is sized for your boat or 1 size higher? Mine is an 8# with 15' of chain and it worked great on my 20'er. I now use it as a perch fishing stern anchor and it always sets and stays.

That being said I have heard good things about Mantus anchors. There's a contest over on The hull Truth to win one. I won a percentage off in their last contest but I wasn't in the market so I gave my code away.

What sloch24 said about the chain is the best recommendation. Go heavy and long. My son bought me a rubber coated one from West Marine and I had to grind the stop away about 1/4". It gave it more bite by opening up more. And, stripped away about 3-4 inches on the pointed ends. Now it will hold a freight train!

I agree with the rest, the chain is an important part of your anchor set up. Two years ago I switched my Danforth to a Fortress aluminum anchor and I wouldn't go back now. The Fortress offers all the holding power and maybe more and only half of the weight to retrieve. You also need to make sure you are letting out enough rode for the depth you are in. Usually 5 to 7 times the water depth for a normal wind day, 20 fow = 100-140 foot of anchor rode.

GF

I have a Danforth that I use on my 27 ft regal. #14 and about 5 or 6 ft of coated chain. I gave 100 ft of rope that I alway use all of unless at the beach. Most of the time I can't pull it out. I have the tie it to the cleat and power it out with the boat then drag it behind to clean it cause it always brings alot of mud up with it.

The only time I have had any trouble with it holding is on rocky bottom, which is given, it's ment to dig in, can't dig into rock.

Had a 23' sportcraft and had a fortress fx-7. worked awesome. Now i have a 30' gls sportcraft and had to upgrade to a fx-16. Put 4' of chain on and no problem. You will love the aluminum anchor when your in 40' of water and have to move a few times to get on the fish.

Most people don't put out enough rope I used to teach safe boating classes and the recommended amount is three times the depth you are in. I put out 150 feet with three feet of chain on a Danforth. No problems
    2014 21 ft TIDEWATER CENTER CONSOLE
    ELITE CHIRP/DOWN IMAGING

you already have a great anchor. you need about 6' to 8' of 3/8 chain attached to the anchor. then you need to let out enough rope to let the anchor do its job. you need to let out at least 3 times the depth of the water your fishing, and more in rough water.

I have 300' of 5/16 rope wound up on one of those extension cord spools that you can get at places like lowes, its a great way to store your rope. if I'm on erie in 50' of water I let out about 150' to 200', and even more if the water is very rough.

Danforth type anchor with chain is what you will need. Problem is when anchoring off stern many do not use chain because of added weight. Lifting 12 lb. anchor plus chain is a chore. Weight of chain helps keep anchor from lifting off bottom & insures good set of anchor in bottom. Installed windlass on my 26 ft. Thompson, 200 ft. of rode plus 15 ft. chain. No problem with anchor setting. Try a windlass you will be happy.