Crazy Noise around South Bass Is. Crazy Noise around South Bass Is. Crazy Noise around South Bass Is. Crazy Noise around South Bass Is.

Default Crazy Noise around South Bass Is.

Hey all,,, I was on the lake Monday.

I noticed a boat South of South Bass cruising around slowly.. Every now and then it would chirp a siren.. It was a red colored craft. Anyhow whether is was coincidence or not, it took off to the East headed towards Sandusky. Once it was gone for about an hour I could hear a loud underwater noise like and explosion or some kind of thumping loud chirping sound sort of like when ice makes that thumping sound but very loud and under the surface. I am sure some kind of testing was being done... anybody have a clue? It sounded like it was coming from the same area as the boat had been.

Pimplepounder.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

The boat you saw was the USCG, and they were checking boats on Monday. I saw them pull over another Captain I know, that runs a Ranger, and they used their siren (one or two short blasts) to get him off plane. I saw them at the ramp when we went in, and I asked them what was going on..."Did someone have a heart attack out there?" He said, "No, we were just checking boats out there". They were also checking at the dock, if you didn't already have your safety sticker, you would be checked. I had mine, so they didn't bother.

As for the underwater alien noise, I can't help you with that one....that sounds really weird.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

The USGS was out in front of Catawba and south of PIB on Wednesday, think they were doing some kind survey on Whitefish....don't know what kind of noise they'd make?

Not sure if it's related, but there was a large gray boat that was anchored between Kellys and South Bass most of the day. Never got close enough to see if there were diver flags or anything.

The all grey large (30-34ft) boat was probably the Boarder patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Whopper View Post
    Not sure if it's related, but there was a large gray boat that was anchored between Kellys and South Bass most of the day. Never got close enough to see if there were diver flags or anything.
    Well that was the area I was hearing that noise.. It was probably around 5 PM til 6. It would be a couple thumping sounds in succession. Very load and very weird, but under the surface for sure. My guess is some kind of sonar for looking for wrecks or for studying bottom beneath the lake bed.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

If they are still planning on building windmills in the lake, perhaps they were setting off charges to see the different makeup of the lake bed. Haliburton has grey equipment.

That was sort of what I was thinking.. I was under the impression that the proposed wind farm was near Cleveland waters. The sound came from the North, perhaps Canada. We know they have them there because we can see them.. I hope it is something​ else . Very strange regardless...