Friday July 25th Friday July 25th Friday July 25th Friday July 25th

Default Friday July 25th

Got a late start today and finally got away from the dock at 11:30. Was going to go to the Green Rattlesnake area but my dock partner just retuned from that area with little to show for their effort. Heard there was a bite happening at D can so headed there. Must have got there to late as I only got 2 in 1.5 hrs so I decided to look for some eyes. Went NE from D can ending up close to the border almost due east of C can. Marked a few fish that appeared to be eyes so set lines and started to troll to the NNE. Picked up 3 then made the move back to the starting point and made another troll on the same track and picked up 2 more. Made one more pass and got the last one. Was 3 and 3 on brown gold hatchet blade and Antifreeze Anti-Hotrod hatchet blade. 1.8 to 2.2 GPS speed 55 back with trutrip 40. All were about the same size running about 20", just good eaters.

Had a few hrs left so headed to C can. Stopped on a hump almost due east of C can to look for perch. This hump is clearly visable on most GPS units, it is almost due east of C can on the firing range. There were several pods of what looked like perch so I decided to anchor and give it a try. Started a slow pick of super nice perch with spurts of 5 or 6 then back to the slow pick. Finally manage my 30 fish and got back to the dock before 8:00. They weighed 14lbs at the Cleaners.

So what started off as a bad day turned out well even if it was a longer than planned for day of fishing.

I also had reports of a down and up bite at B can and it sounded like it was good most of the day with a few short lulls in the bite. Heard that at the Marina and at the Cleaners as well.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Just checked the OGF site and there is a poster there who says in his own words the bite at B-Can "sucked" and he apparently had little success. That is in direct conflict with what I had been told and what I had posted here. So it is a tossup for B-Can being where the bite is at.

It appears the perch fishing is sporadic and the perch are not tightly schooled, at least not in the traditional spots yet. They seem to be constantly on the move in small pods of roving fish and don't linger in any one area for days on end like in the past.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

I forgot to add that the water clarity was excellent once you got about 1 mile offshore, until then it was murky next to shore but changed quickly from murky to clean rather fast. So the NE blow did little damage to water clarity at least in the Toussaint river area.

Water surface temps at my transducer ranged from low 70's about noon to 76 in the afternoon then cooled off to the 74 degree range after 5pm. once the clouds moved in. I did not check temps later in the day or on my way back to the dock.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-26-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Default Thanks for report

Good report as usual Wakina! Glad to see someone found some. It has been awfully quiet and you know it is slow when Hooker isn't posting much. I haven't been able to get out in last couple weeks. Been busy working on the launch of our new book I co-authored. It's about -in part- Ohio State Football. It is now out. Check it out at www.mylestraveled.com
    Last edited by LEfriend; 07-26-2014 at 02:49 PM.

Default Excellent!

A combo limit and didn't start until 11:30, that is a heck of a day no matter how long it took! I hope to have a day like that before the seasons end.

Thanks for the report!

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    A combo limit and didn't start until 11:30, that is a heck of a day no matter how long it took! I hope to have a day like that before the seasons end.

Thanks for the report!
    The Walleyes I had help with from my fishing diary/logs which I have compressed down into weekly slots from years past and have stored on flash drives now. It gives me a starting point or 2 in general areas so I am not hunting for eyes entirely blind. They work probably 70% to 80% of the time, but you never know when that ugly 20% to 30% is going to pop up and ruin your day.

Perch, I was actually heading to the C-can area to look but was close to this hump on my way in so decided to check it out, I have caught perch there before and have had some bad days there also. The west edge of the hump held the most fish and they seemed to be roving around a lot. I have no way of knowing if there was just one pod of perch there or multiple pods of perch there, I am just glad that perch kept showing up on the sonar and that they kept biting.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS