perch perch perch perch

Thread: perch

Default perch

Is anyone getting concerned about the lack of small throwback perch. I don't know what size the fish for next year should be right now.
    Can someone enlighten me on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging Doors View Post
    Is anyone getting concerned about the lack of small throwback perch. I don't know what size the fish for next year should be right now.
    Can someone enlighten me on this?
    I think the abundance of walleye is doing a job on those young perch. Good for walleye bad for perch.

Perhaps one's definition of throwback is up for debate. I keep >9" only.
    Many people keep 6,7 and 8" perch. I throw those back.

We had a great deal of perch last year that were 7s and 8s but skinny, I think those are the ones we are getting now, I have not heard how the up coming perch has been, but I would think after 2 great hatches of walleye the upcoming perch year might suffer some from that. Or maybe the walleye just pushed the perch out to safer waters, who knows.

Last Sunday we caught maybe 4 perch 7" and under. First time this year. We caught 51 nice perch at B can. I too am wondering about the lack of small perch. I bet we haven't caught 4 or 5 white perch since we started perching in the end of June. Was times the last couple years we moved to try and get out of them. I also think the walleye has something to do with it.