Conditions/Fishing Report Conditions/Fishing Report Conditions/Fishing Report Conditions/Fishing Report

Default Conditions/Fishing Report

Weather says 40 degrees and calm south winds, waves 1 foot or less for Monday so I'm prepping the ranger to go out. Probably out of mazuriks but will go catawba or Huron if that's where it's at.

Just wondering if anyone has an ice report at the ramps after this few days of cold

Also, any bait stores in that area with open on mondaySunday this time of year?
    Last edited by mikecat13; 02-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Here is a picture from Friday afternoon.Conditions/Fishing Report-20170203_122326-jpgConditions/Fishing Report-20170203_122326-jpg lots of slush at the ramp.

Thanks jim, that's a bummer looks like the west winds loaded it up in there. Hopefully a warmer couple days will fix that.

Anyone planning on giving it a try this weekend?

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Probably goes without saying, but just a reminder to anyone thinking about going out open water fishing in February:
    1 - there is ice in the Lake, fields of brash swamp ice (pieces of broken up ice) of various size, which moves around according to wind and current.
    2 - There is hardly anyone out on the Lake, sport or commercial, and any rescue if needed would probably take an hour, likely longer.

I understand the itch to get out, but is it really worth the risk? Even if you stay close to shore and there are a few other boats with you, it seems a bit much to go out there for 6 walleye. If you are experienced with all the cold weather gear and safety equipment, fine. Anyone else I would suggest you think twice. Got to be other things you can get done now so when the regular season starts up you'll have those tasks done and will have more time to go then.

Does anyone know where to buy minnows between SE Michigan and catawba area? Tried calling Magee east but no one answered

call hi-way baits
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by mikecat13 View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy minnows between SE Michigan and catawba area? Tried calling Magee east but no one answered
    Herbs - 4197972455

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post

I understand the itch to get out, but is it really worth the risk? Even if you stay close to shore and there are a few other boats with you, it seems a bit much to go out there for 6 walleye. If you are experienced with all the cold weather gear and safety equipment, fine. Anyone else I would suggest you think twice. Got to be other things you can get done now so when the regular season starts up you'll have those tasks done and will have more time to go then.

I couldn't agree more. I always say 6 walleyes or 30 perch aren't worth dying for. Everyone be safe out there, and remember the water this time of year is extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by rkfet View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I always say 6 walleyes or 30 perch aren't worth dying for. Everyone be safe out there, and remember the water this time of year is extremely dangerous.
    Definitely good advice but we also shouldn't forget that the water is dangerous all year if you're not prepared and careful. An unprepared person that doesn't respect the water is probably more likely to die than one that is prepared and cautious that fishes in February. Don't forget, that water is awful cold more than its warm, hypothermia can happen in march and April and November...good not to forget these warnings all year, seems you only see them during times like this when it's not as common to go out. Big lake, respect it every day and always safety before fish