7/26 A Can Perch - Finicky 7/26 A Can Perch - Finicky 7/26 A Can Perch - Finicky 7/26 A Can Perch - Finicky

Default 7/26 A Can Perch - Finicky

Hooker had shiners this AM. Lots of pinheads. $5 scoop. Lots in a scoop so 2 scoops looked like plenty generous for 2 of us, since I had other frozen backup. Set up SW of A can about 9 am. First drop 10" perch. Second drop 8"perch. Had a good bite going, with good size, but had trouble keeping the small minnows on and they were stealing fast them as you got it down. To counter that I tried some cut perch bellies and even large frozen shiners on top hooks, but they wanted none of that. I finally got down to one pole and even just one hook and did a little better, but by then bite had slowed some. We had an awful lot of minnows stolen and seems all they wanted today was a whole small pinhead...no large shiners, no cut shiners, no perch bellies. Those caught nothing. And the bite today was hit bottom, lift just a wee bit, you either had one or was cleaned and needed to come up and re bait. Bet 90 percent of bites were on first pickup off bottom. Two minnows to a hook also seemed to hook a higher percentage.

Two of us ended about 12:30 when it got hot (and pinheads ran out) with 35 keepers that went 10 lbs at cleaners. So it was a pretty decent grade of fish, considering we had 4 or 5 gut hooked small ones in there that we kept. Had one 11 3/4 and few throwbacks. And friend fishing with me is not experienced...he fishes maybe once every two or three years. So it wasn't a bad day. Just wish I had sprung for another scoop or two (or some goldies). I think if we had fished one hook, baited two minnows to a hook, early on, or had just a little larger shiners, we could have had two full tickets of nice fish in no time.

LEfriend, thank you for the thorough report - very helpful!

I keep several packs of #8 hooks on hand and use them when the pinheads are prevalent. They stay on the #8 hook better and don't break apart as easy as they do using a larger hook. It helps with the bait stealers. Nice report Steve.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I keep several packs of #8 hooks on hand and use them when the pinheads are prevalent. They stay on the #8 hook better and don't break apart as easy as they do using a larger hook. It helps with the bait stealers. Nice report Steve.
    I need to get some of those. I had #6 thin wire but wasn't enough. I didn't help myself. I have been keeping my shiners in plastic bag on bed of ice in the cooler. Usually works great and saves a lot of mess in the boat. However with those small ones (some were only one inch) even a bit of softening and they are toast. Ironically we cuss those pinheads but yesterday that is clearly what they were wanting. They even took the smaller pinhead over the few larger fresh ones we had in the bag, when we had one of each on.

Learned something else...when you have a bite keep the bait down there. I normally set up two poles to get them going. But yesterday we stopped right on top of an already hungry classroom and all that did was lose valuable time baiting hooks and feeding them on the deadstick. Derald, check your pm's