Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Walleye fishing from a small boat, INSIGHT NEEDED

I have been fishing Central Lake Erie for many years. Quite a few years back I had my own boat until I lost it in a divorce. Recently I have been fishing regularly with a friend of mine from his boat. I started ice fishing the Western basin a few years ago (unfortunately no ice this past winter). I understand and respect the power of the Lake Erie weather and waves! With that being said, I have a 14' Deep-V with a 9.9 that I wanted to bring up to fish near shore on a good water day. I travel nearly 4 hours to get there and I do understand that on some days, although the weather report suggested it would be a calm day, that changes.

I looking for honest opinions regarding where the best and safest places to launch and walleye fish are anywhere from Sandusky to Toledo. I feel comfortable going up to 2, 2 1/2 miles out with that boat on a good day. I know to understand what the weather report has to offer, listen to the marine radio, head in at the first sign of inclement weather, wear life jackets, and so on. I have seen many small boats fish the Central Basin area and have seen posts of guys even fishing from kayaks in the Western Basin.

Another question I have, what is the better option, trolling or jigging? The weather/waves are looking favorable for this weekend so I might give the trip a try.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

I wouldn't make that drive this weekend North wind is always bigger waves than they call for. I would wait for a high pressure system to come in then fish out of Bessie area for the jig bite. Don't need to go far. In may,June ID launch out of cranberry Creek near Huron fish are close that time of year. You are going to need to be extremely careful with that boat probably no bilge pumps and slow top speed. The big lake deserves alot of respect. We live 2 hrs away and run a ranger 1880 angler so I know how hard it is to pick the right days to get out.

I have found that wind direction is a big factor, but when you get way out on the big lake current and waves can be crazy and change. If I were to pick areas to fish for walleyes from a boat like you mentioned I would probably pick launches near Port Clinton , but wind direction is key. My boats are small too but not quite that small I keep a close eye on this situation also. The West side of the Western basin is a good place to catch walleyes too and it is sheltered somewhat from the Western wind.. Keep in tune with wind and wave forecasts and heed their warnings. Also a little farther East at Huron I have seen a lot of smaller boats on the water at the mouth of the river. A small craft can sneak out and find some deep water and still be able to slip back into safety pretty easy.

My experience is not nearly as great as many on this forum, but this has been my experiences as it relates to your question.

My 2 cents,

Kent
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

I suggest you use the boat for what it is, a bayliner

Blog Entries

Default A thought

Quote Originally Posted by WalleyeRookie View Post
    I have been fishing Central Lake Erie for many years. Quite a few years back I had my own boat until I lost it in a divorce. Recently I have been fishing regularly with a friend of mine from his boat. I started ice fishing the Western basin a few years ago (unfortunately no ice this past winter). I understand and respect the power of the Lake Erie weather and waves! With that being said, I have a 14' Deep-V with a 9.9 that I wanted to bring up to fish near shore on a good water day. I travel nearly 4 hours to get there and I do understand that on some days, although the weather report suggested it would be a calm day, that changes.

I looking for honest opinions regarding where the best and safest places to launch and walleye fish are anywhere from Sandusky to Toledo. I feel comfortable going up to 2, 2 1/2 miles out with that boat on a good day. I know to understand what the weather report has to offer, listen to the marine radio, head in at the first sign of inclement weather, wear life jackets, and so on. I have seen many small boats fish the Central Basin area and have seen posts of guys even fishing from kayaks in the Western Basin.

Another question I have, what is the better option, trolling or jigging? The weather/waves are looking favorable for this weekend so I might give the trip a try.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    You might try to Ferry your boat over to Put N Bay and launch from there. Check to see that there's a ramp on the Island and do a search of Miller Ferry for car/trailer rates.

Another thing I think is important. I have been a mechanical technician for many years so I am predisposed to things failing. I do not like to travel out on to big water with only one mode of power. I have a main outboard, a kicker, separate fuel tanks for both and plenty of battery power and an electric motor with some mojo. All it takes is some engine failure, wind, and an anchor that can't hold or worse holds to good in high wind and distances can grow very fast.

A couple people died a few years back that were on kayaks a little East from where we are talking. and were overcome by the wind and cold water.

Kent
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Another thing I think is important. I have been a mechanical technician for many years so I am predisposed to things failing. I do not like to travel out on to big water with only one mode of power. I have a main outboard, a kicker, separate fuel tanks for both and plenty of battery power and an electric motor with some mojo. All it takes is some engine failure, wind, and an anchor that can't hold or worse holds to good in high wind and distances can grow very fast.

A couple people died a few years back that were on kayaks a little East from where we are talking. and were overcome by the wind and cold water.

Kent

Plenty of people die on Erie in Larger boats as well. Accidents are called that because things can happen to the most prepared people alive. Watch the weather and use your head and you will be all right.

I hope my message did not seem critical here that was not the intent, please enjoy the lake and all it has to offer.

I was just speaking from my own past experiences, and people I have helped, and how those particular conditions I or they were not prepared for. Yes we can never cover every base, but I have also seen some things and done some things that seem quite sensible now to avoid.

Kent
    PimplePounder

115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    FL-20 Vexilar
    Navonics Premium

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Weather conditions are a given. There are two things many small craft folks don't consider: boat wake waves and areas with cross waves.

On weekends during the late spring and summer the boat wakes can be wicked. In the early morning hundreds of boats are heading out to the popular area at the time and they create a lot of wake. If the fishing is over off the Port Clinton area the straight between Catawba Point and South Bass Island is full of boat wakes headed that way out of west, middle, and east harbors. Even on calm days with little or no wind waves boat wakes can and often do create lots of waves. This can get even worse in the early afternoon as the pleasure boaters come out and the fishing boats are coming in. This is often the case wherever the fishing spot happens to be. So you need to factor that in. Getting caught in an area with multiple boat wake directions and a large boat or two and you've got trouble.

Cross waves are another thing to consider. Areas like around the north west point of Catawba Island and other spots where land points cause waves to converge and cause cross waves can be very dangerous to a small boat. I've seen waves in these areas coming from four different directions at the same time.

The safest places to go are close to shore away from the main boat traffic. Get a good map of boat launches (or go online) and have a plan for every wind direction. If you are going up for a few days the islands are a good choice, as you can pick the leeward side on any given day. South Bass, Middle Bass, and Kelleys. Costs more (ferry trip over and back). One small advantage of a small boat is you are usually forced to fish in areas where few if anybody else are fishing. Sometimes you find walleye in these areas nobody else knows about.

Also try evening fishing. The bite can be as good or better and there are a lot less boats. Plus the wind tends to die down in the evening. It's not uncommon for the Lake to have few boats in the evening, even on weekends. Usually you have the fishing areas to yourself. I've been out in the evening close to the islands fishing for only a few hours, getting a limit, and only seeing two other boats the whole time.
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-19-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add content

Well said West Basin