Best size/strength for Pearch spreaders/Jigs? Best size/strength for Pearch spreaders/Jigs? Best size/strength for Pearch spreaders/Jigs? Best size/strength for Pearch spreaders/Jigs?
    Blog Entries

Default Best size/strength for Pearch spreaders/Jigs?

Can anyone give me some tips as to what are the best types of hooks to use for Lake Erie Perching? I see the thin, gold, longer shank #2 hooks and then I see other stronger looking Eagle Claw #2 that are a little shorter. I've used the thinner hooks and they worked fine as long as I didn't catch a large Sheephead. But too many times the thin hooks bend and some even break quite easily while getting the hook out with tools.
    Is there a "Hook Transition" period for this early time of Perch season vs. the cooler season in October?
    And what type of rigs, hooks, baits do the ice fishing people use?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Can anyone give me some tips as to what are the best types of hooks to use for Lake Erie Perching? I see the thin, gold, longer shank #2 hooks and then I see other stronger looking Eagle Claw #2 that are a little shorter. I've used the thinner hooks and they worked fine as long as I didn't catch a large Sheephead. But too many times the thin hooks bend and some even break quite easily while getting the hook out with tools.
    Is there a "Hook Transition" period for this early time of Perch season vs. the cooler season in October?
    And what type of rigs, hooks, baits do the ice fishing people use?
    I use an Aberdeen style hook in thin wire either a #4 or #6 Tru-Turn in red color or a #4 or #6 Eagle Claw Aberdeen crappie hook in red color depending on the minnow size. I will even use a Tru-Turn or Eagle Claw thin wire aberdeen number 8 hook in red if all I can get is pin head sized shiners. Bear Paw also makes a good hook for perch fishing.
    The bait holder hooks are stronger but they do not penetrate as well as the thin wire Aberdeen hooks do as the wire is to heavy. The aberdeen hooks will save alot of empty hooks from bait stealers. I change hooks as frequently as needed and don't let that bother me as it is part of the perch fishing game. I use one of those red hook disgorger's that have a ball on each end both small and large available at most bait stores and at WalMart. I also use a modified crappie rig with about 8 inch wire arms, and a minimum 3/4 oz wt and most often a 1oz wt.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I also prefer #4 tru-turn hooks in red color. I also keep #4 & #6 Aberdeen hooks in gold color. If things are slow or they seem finicky on a particular day I will change styles and have noticed a difference on some days.
    As far as spreaders I like the two arm spreader made by Grapetin. They are cheap and I buy them a dozen at a time. I almost always use a 3/4 oz sinker so I can feel and pound the bottom to get their attention.

I use the Mustad 3777 in size #28 or #26

Red #2 or #4 Tru Turn hooks and 20 lb Seaguar on home made skipper 9 rigs...2 ounce sinker
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Quote Originally Posted by SPOONFEEDER View Post
    I use the Mustad 3777 in size #28 or #26
    Me too. #26. They are long and thin. they bend easily but can be reshaped many times before they break.

Blog Entries

Default Thank all of you for responding.

I looked over the posts and went to Net Craft and picked up a package of 50 Mustad, 3777-#28 (Br) hooks for under $5.00! That tip came from Capt. Patterson. I've made 2 vertical rigs and I'll see how they do. I snelled a few to try on spreaders also.
    Mr. Wakina, my next venture will be your recommendation below, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I use an Aberdeen style hook in thin wire either a #4 or #6 Tru-Turn in red color or a #4 or #6 Eagle Claw Aberdeen crappie hook in red color depending on the minnow size. I will even use a Tru-Turn or Eagle Claw thin wire aberdeen number 8 hook in red if all I can get is pin head sized shiners. Bear Paw also makes a good hook for perch fishing.
    The bait holder hooks are stronger but they do not penetrate as well as the thin wire Aberdeen hooks do as the wire is to heavy. The aberdeen hooks will save alot of empty hooks from bait stealers. I change hooks as frequently as needed and don't let that bother me as it is part of the perch fishing game. I use one of those red hook disgorger's that have a ball on each end both small and large available at most bait stores and at WalMart. I also use a modified crappie rig with about 8 inch wire arms, and a minimum 3/4 oz wt and most often a 1oz wt.