Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing... Crappie or Bluegill fishing...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Heard the same thing in the past at a different location. What my friend did that day after being told this was to hand his share of the money directly to the gas dock attendant, he took the money and my friend asked him what the difference was if we paid the bill separately(each paid the attendant for our shares) or if we combined the money before paying. He said that the boat owner(me) did not touch any of the money that my friend was contributing to the days fishing. Next question was, How many tickets had he seen written for this? The attendant said none but had been told that by some one else!

On a different day at the same marina my son-in-law gave me a $20 bill for gas while an ODNR Officer who had boarded my boat was preparing to count our perch and walleyes while everything was still on board, the ODNR Officer said nothing, he was looking directly at me asking about where our location had been on the lake when we caught the perch, as the money exchanged hands right in front him.

Here are just a few examples of what takes place openly on a very public open forum that I had referenced in my last reply to this thread. Ask Fishermans Wharf if the ODNR monitors the site where the below links are located since post on this site led to getting sited for over bagging.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threa...-trade.293026/
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threa...n-seat.292870/
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threa...nesday.291657/
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threa...1-6-16.291637/
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Thanks for the info all….. On splitting the cost with someone, we even have threads on a few local sites dedicated to ride/ trip sharing. If it works, I'd welcome someone in the boat… sharing expense would be a nice plus as well.

If I was ticketed for legitimately sharing some expense… I'd welcome the chance to take that to court. Intent wins in that situation every time.
    You need to check US COASTGUARD Reg.section 2101 oftitle46 sec.506,507 if you are a recreational boater you are allowed to share expenses for a day on the water as long as it is not a mandatory requirement to pay for fuel cost for a boat ride.The way loomis82 put it sounded like pay or no go.

My apologies to cycleguy! It seems that we as a group have high-jacked your thread and question. Once again my apologies!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

WOW.... I went to the Columbus Fishing Expo today and came back to read all of this. We finally got a little excitement in the forums this Winter. Lol.. I wondered when I read that post about getting a buddy to go to save on costs, if someone would say something.

I am not a charter and I take friends fishing all the time. I have looked into this several times and found that Wakina is correct. Now, to the defense of the original guy who posted about this, Old Wheezer, he simply said what happened to him and what a "girl pumping gas" told him.

I have had 2 charter captains tell me the same story that if the Coast Guard cares and wants to press the issue then they split the group up and ask questions individually... I am told that they will ask, "Where you required to pay for anything for the trip? Where you required to bring anything (such as bait or ice) to be used by everyone on the boat? Where you required to pay for fuel?...etc.."

Everything that I have been told is that it is perfectly fine for people to share costs if it is their choice to do so, and it is not "required" by the boat owner.

And, yes, Wakina is right, we apologize for hijacking this thread... but it has been fun.

-Matt

That is all good… all conversation is welcomed. I dream of the day I get on a bite that is so good limiting early is a concern. If that was the case, coming all the way here for the experience, I can play catch and release for a long time before getting tired of a special time. Not culling,releasing healthy fish prior to hitting a limit. Too much respect to do it any other way.

Having the pan fishing back up plan for weather… or whatever is huge for me… TY again.

More questions to follow for sure - for now, still reading every post on here, so keep it up all.

That is all good… all conversation is welcomed. I dream of the day I get on a bite that is so good limiting early is a concern. If that was the case, coming all the way here for the experience, I can play catch and release for a long time before getting tired of a special time. Not culling,releasing healthy fish prior to hitting a limit. Too much respect to do it any other way.

Having the pan fishing back up plan for weather… or whatever is huge for me… TY again.

More questions to follow for sure - for now, still reading every post on here, so keep it up all.
    Just a suggestion here but I always put the first 4 nice fish in the cooler and then funfish for awhile before I head in. The reason is that yes I go to catch fish to eat and want to get enough so I can have a few meals the following winter so I box the first 4 nice fish. The jig bite can be fickle and they can shut down so fast that it is almost unbelievable that you cannot buy another hookup, it is like someone turned the stop biting switch on and they are done. From almost as fast as you can catch them to nothing in as little as 15 minutes. So be aware.

I don't cull either if I am going to keep it, it goes in the live well with it's throat cut to bleed out then on the ice. If not keeping it it goes from net to lake as fast as possible!
    Last edited by wakina; 02-14-2016 at 03:46 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Blog Entries

When I make my first trip in the Spring for the walleye fishing, I'll literally be on the water sun up to dusk. Being on my own, I'll be here to fish, sleep, and fish some more. If I find success chasing walleye, and want to mix it up to fill out my days… is there any good pan fishing to be had? Say in the bays or such… assuming I'll be around the reefs for walleye.

I'll be in my 17 Lund, so super long trips are a little tough. Part of this is also in the event wind kicks me off the big lake one or more of the days I can make the trip. Some pan fishing, or even catch and release bass or anything as a backup would be nice.
    Yellow Perch are pan fish too, yes? Do you have a fish finder? I always try for both Walleye and Perch in the spring just to see what happens. If we hit a limit of Eyes and have the time, next step is to check for Perch, with frozen shiners. Hit 'n miss but worth the effort, move around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yellow Perch are pan fish too, yes? Do you have a fish finder? I always try for both Walleye and Perch in the spring just to see what happens. If we hit a limit of Eyes and have the time, next step is to check for Perch, with frozen shiners. Hit 'n miss but worth the effort, move around.
    Never thought about them. When out on the ice for the first time last year… I asked around about perch, and everyone seemed to say they were not around that time of the year? That would be fun, as it would again be something new. Any tips on that thought process, that early in the year?

Lots of crappies to be had in those marinas over by the reef complex. Turtle creek has some beautiful crappie cover in it.

Never thought about them. When out on the ice for the first time last year… I asked around about perch, and everyone seemed to say they were not around that time of the year? That would be fun, as it would again be something new. Any tips on that thought process, that early in the year?
    I've heard the same thing about the perch. Was told that the snake fish take off when every single walleye in the lake is over in the western basin.