Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging Preparing for jigging
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Just so all new comers (to the spring jig bite) will be informed. When they speak of the reef complex during the spawn they are speaking about the whole area around and including the reefs. 99% of the fish caught in the reef complex are caught off the edges and between the different reefs where there is no significant structure. The area in the vicinity of the K-Can on the western edge of the firing range, from a few hundred yards off the beach out to and including the closer reefs will see the most fish harvested. Water depth will vary from 8 to 12 ft closer to the beach and on top of the reefs to 20 ft or more in the area that holds no significant structure. Of course that will depend on what the fish are wanting on that particular day.

With that being said there are 2 non related reasons not to anchor and both can lead to either frustration and/or personal safety. There will be a ton of boats in the areas where fish are being caught, most will be drifting and if moving doing so with respect for others the rest will be running around looking for people catching fish or WOT back up the drift and in so doing they will be ruining the fishing for others. Walleyes will not tolerate boat traffic while under power running much above idle in shallow water no matter how horny they are. Second is that there are more than enough stupid people that will shut down within a few yards of you and start their drift. This leads to conflict between those few boats that are anchored and those few who do not have the smarts to start their drift well away from anchored boats, and of course those mentally challenged drifters will expect you to pull your anchor so they can drift thru. I will leave what normally happens next to your imagination.

I realize that anchoring is perfectly legal and that you should be able to do so without interference but is not what happens.

http://wbsa.us/denied/range_map.jpg
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Cool info. Sure do appreciate it all.

I ran into a guy here in WI this weekend, said in the spring there can be a two hour wait just to get the boat in… it gets that busy. Is this the case, and is it that packed of a house out there on the water then as well?

Do the trollers tend then to go somewhere else, or join in the middle of all this?

Like the ice fishing… where you see guys all over (my one trip) - are there fish to be caught all around if as a newbie, I'm not looking to get in anyone's way out there? I just want to enjoy the time on the water.

May be a dumb ?? What is the firing range? I mean I get the ideal, but is is active at all, and are there times you are not permitted in the area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    Cool info. Sure do appreciate it all.

I ran into a guy here in WI this weekend, said in the spring there can be a two hour wait just to get the boat in… it gets that busy. Is this the case, and is it that packed of a house out there on the water then as well?

Do the trollers tend then to go somewhere else, or join in the middle of all this?

Like the ice fishing… where you see guys all over (my one trip) - are there fish to be caught all around if as a newbie, I'm not looking to get in anyone's way out there? I just want to enjoy the time on the water.

May be a dumb ?? What is the firing range? I mean I get the ideal, but is is active at all, and are there times you are not permitted in the area?
    Yes it can be crowded and there can be a wait to get the boat in the water, I have seen some awful long lines at some of the marinas on Turtle Creek which is adjacent to the reef complex. Weekends are the worse. If you come during the spring spawn to jig I would recommend using a private marina vs state docks. Pay the fee and go fishing, you will save the cost of the launch in gas alone as well as time since they are really close to the fishing area.

Most trollers that know what they are doing will be outside the best jigging areas, they will be targeting the larger females that seem to avoid the party until ready to drop their eggs. They will be on the fringe areas adjacent to but well away from the best jigging areas. It can be crowded on the water also, but the fishing area (jigging) is several square miles in size.

There will be plenty of room for you without a problem, there will be boats all over the place . The main thing is deciding where to start, at times the fish are active just a few hundred yards off shore then again the active fish can be a couple of miles out. Be observant and watch what the other boats are doing, are they catching(?) are they vertical jigging(?) are they casting out and hopping the jig back(?). The main attractor is that jig hitting the bottom! That is why most everyone who is jigging uses the heavier jigs in 1/2 to 1 oz in size with the stinger hooks. That jig has to slam the bottom to be effective.

The firing range is an area set aside for the training of Military personnel, there is an inner range(danger zone I) and an extended outer range(danger zone II) for weapons training. They are mostly small arms but on occasion they fire heavier weapons like the .50 cal machine gun. When firing the small arms the inner range is closed to boat traffic and when firing the heavier weapons the outer and inner range are closed. Here is a link with a map that shows the inner and outer firing range. It starts on the shore at Camp Perry extending out into the lake. The inner range is marked with a half circle on the map and small buoys spaced close together on the water, the outer range is marked with straight lines on the map and larger buoys spaced about 1.5 miles (maybe more) apart on the water.

http://wbsa.us/denied/range_map.jpg
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for the time to share all that!

Post Thanks / Like

if you do come give me a call good chance I will be out there and will be willing to work with you Todd 419-467-4761