Rod Holder recommendations for Lund Rebel XL with Sport Track System Rod Holder recommendations for Lund Rebel XL with Sport Track System Rod Holder recommendations for Lund Rebel XL with Sport Track System Rod Holder recommendations for Lund Rebel XL with Sport Track System
    Blog Entries

Default Rod Holder recommendations for Lund Rebel XL with Sport Track System

I had someone contact me asking for a recommendation for rod holders (brand and models) set up for his new boat which is a Lund Rebel XL with the "Sport Track" System. I'm not familiar with Lunds so if there are any Lund owners out there with similar set up can you send some recommendations for this guy? Pictures would help as well.

I have that on my Lund Fisherman, and while I was ok with it for many years for holding rods while I panfished and such, as I moved into boards and more of that trolling I grew less happy. Problem I found is that those mounts are inside the boat, and typically hold a rod at the reel. This leaves the long butt end of the rods sticking way into the boat. One guy it was ok, but two or more, it sucked. If a guy was holding a rod you couldn't even step around him with a net. Now I use it for holding tools, cup holders and such, but put the Traxstech system on the gunnels. So much better with the tubes. All the width of the inside of the boat is back. The tubes are much nicer for setting up, and getting the rods out quick.

While they do make tube style holders for the sport track system, I wouldn't have been comfortable with that much twist and side force always on the system. Maybe with the conventional holders, but the tubes, not me.

I still have the other holders base units in the sport track system ready to use for holding a deadstick and such while panfishing, or jigging for walleyes, but any trolling rods, I break out the other system that is off when not trolling. Those style holders are nice for a single spinning rod or two, and I like how they hold the smaller, shorter backed rods.

A quick google search will give you images and such. Ram is a pretty common standard for those. Funny how Lunds are like so common here (WI) vs elsewhere.

This all said…. they do make some different aftermarket systems that utilize the tracks - google them and you'll see several. Guessing some may work, but I'd still look at other options just as quick.

I have a Lund explorer and I have no issues with the cabelas track rod holders for trolling inlines or bottom bouncers and they are inexpensive. Now if you are going to troll with dipsys or for bigger fish I would advise against them. I currently run cisco brackets and plates along with my big jon rod holders and downriggers. The parts are expensive but worth every penny. Here is the link. http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com