Trolling Plates vs. Kicker Trolling Plates vs. Kicker Trolling Plates vs. Kicker Trolling Plates vs. Kicker

Default Trolling Plates vs. Kicker

So I'm struggling with the next upgrade for my boat.

I have an 18' Polar Kraft Deep V powered by an F90 Yamaha (Four Stroke for you non-Yammie crowd). When trolling at the slowest speed, I can only get down to somewhere between 1.9-2.2 mph by GPS depending on wind, waves, current, etc.... As the water cooled this fall and early winter and the big walleye school crowded up between the cans and the islands, I was able to get in on some action, but not to the success rate that I thought I should have had. I'm positive it was because I was trolling too fast. To prove this hypothesis, I started using my bow mount (80# Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 w/iPilot). This allowed me to really slow down and I started catching more fish, however, I burned through my batteries pretty quickly because I still needed to maintain a minimum speed and control, so I was running on the 7-8 speed setting most of the time. Fine for a couple hour trip, but not sustainable for a longer l day jaunt.

That brings me to my decision....invest in the big $$$$ in a kicker as well as add weight and take up space, or go with the less expensive option and use a trolling plate on my outboard. In my B.C. years ("Before Children") I had a 20' Champion Fish Hunter that had a 9.9 four stroke kicker, which would get down to 0.9 mph (GPS). I could troll all day with that motor. It also came in handy as backup propulsion in more than one occasion due to the absolute crap main outboard (1999 225 HP Merc Optimax), which blew up on me three times. While I've never had an issue with my Yamaha, having a backup motor to get me home (albiet slowly, but at least it could get me there) without worrying about batteries, is a comforting thought given my past experiences. But, at around $3K for a decent kicker (Power T&T, electric start, etc...), that's a lot of money out of my limited fishing budget.

So I'm looking for anyone who's willing to share your experiences on the effectiveness of a trolling plate vs. a kicker. Particularly if you have a boat/motor combination in my size range. I'm trying to target the 1.1 to 1.2 mph range and am mainly looking at working Lake Erie (big, open water trolling). I'm not using this for back trolling, precision/contour trolling, etc.... I'll use my iPilot for that.

Thanks!!!!
    Last edited by Polar Eyes; 01-13-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Another option might be to drag a sea anchor. I use (2) 24" sea anchors I got from Amish Outfitters, here on this site. I can get my 200 HP Yamaha down to a slow troll of 1.0 to 1.1.
    Might be worth a shot & a way cheaper way to go.

I think you'll be much happier with the kicker motor. much better boat control better gas mileage and a backup if your main motor ever fails. I used trolling plates for 30 to 35 yrs and used about every plate that came along. and by far the best plate out there is the easy troller. I have used 2 stroke kickers and they did the job but never had the money to invest in a new 4 stroke. but the kicker did give me better boat control than a plate. but now the boat that I have has a mercruiser 350 315 hp. and my older brother paid for an auto pilot on my boat so I don't use a kicker at all any more. but I use bags now to slow me down. they give better control and less surges in waves than any plate.

One tow bill or a worse condition would be more than enough reason for me to go with the kicker, regardless of trolling speed. I have a kicker, but now I use bags also. That time you need another power or even fuel source on big water is priceless in my humble opinion.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium