engine repair costs engine repair costs engine repair costs engine repair costs
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Some charter boats would have their eng's rebuild/gone thru around the 2500hr mark. Having multi charter boats, this helps spread out maintance/replacement instead of having more than one boat/yr down and costs involved. This also helped reduce chances of an engine failure while on a charter and having pissed off customers and having to be towed in. Just as insurance so to speak. Also this was on carburetor engines. Carb engines run ALOT richer than injected ( at some load points more than triple of an injected engine), the excess fuel gets past the rings, washing down the cyl block walls, dilutes the oil, which increases internal bearing, cam wear dramatically. Just compare average engine life on older carbureted engines vs todays tightly fuel controlled injected engines. Your spark plugs, dist. cap/rotor, appearance of the oil on your dipstick can tell quite a story. Along with oil pressure readings, vacuum gauge, engine performance etc.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Ditto's on everything ebijack said. When sequential fuel injection came about, the efficiency on engines went way up as did wera and tear. We have to reply a lot more on software and electronics, but this is how just about everything works today. I never thought about having more than one boat. That would be a problem for business if you had down time and had a lot of clients booked.

More hp does not have to come at the expense of higher compression of more fuel. You just have to use what you have most effectly. Alot of tines there is more fuel due to bad adjustments, thst us not being burnt or wasted. Doing things to make the motor more efficient makes my hp without adding more compression or heat. In fact burning all the fuel the correct way will actually decrease temps. Things like correct cans having enough lift and duration matched to head flow. Heads thst flow better or actually have more velocity will mix the air fuel better making more hp. You can add 20 to 50 hp to most 260hp 5.7s and not have to touch pistons. Alot of time 205hp can be gained in just carb and intake. Another 20 to 30 easy with heads and valve work done correctly. Nothing about cam and pistons changed. And carbs can be set up to be quite effenent. But they take work and adjustments where fi just does all that for you