Lake Erie at it's BEST..... Lake Erie at it's BEST..... Lake Erie at it's BEST..... Lake Erie at it's BEST.....

Default Lake Erie at it's BEST.....

When the cold winds blow and we're covered up in snow,
    I’ll be on the ice a' Fishin’, down through a hole.
    When the ice goes out and the days get hot
    I’ll be out there a fishin’, in the same damn spot.

Very cool pics, ! Thanks.

Nice pics!
    As scary as they look I wonder what it would be like being out there in that chop.
    Years ago while at a boating school I was told that any boat sold around her could take Lake Erie at its worse as long as you handle it properly. ???
    Just sayin. ???
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

I wonder if the kayaker out of sturgeon point had the same instructor you did.

I've been on that lake for around 5 years now, but I'm always very careful. Too careful sometimes but I get migraines and frankly once 3 footers are happening my head will start hurting. Even then, once when I was out perch fishing 5 miles out from sturgeon point in virtually calm seas I actually felt the wind shift to coming out of the north, and cold, and within 5 minutes we had whitecaps out there. 5 minutes! I told my fishing buddy if this keeps up we are getting the f out of here. 5 minutes later the wind shifted back, and everything calmed back down. That was the day I learned how quickly things can happen on that lake. Probably sounds dramatic, but that lake does kill people every year, even it a lot of it is most likely due to stupidity, ignorance or equipment failure. My boat is a 19 footer closed bow inboard, and what I have learned is that it can take a lot more punishment from that lake than I can

I think the worse that lake gets, the smaller margin of error you have, whether it's personal boating skill or equipment that breaks down. That instructor's statement is probably right, but man I wouldn't want to test it. I actually always make it a point of, when talking to people who have fished that lake for years, asking them, "Was it ever really bad out there for you?. Amazing how many of them talk about that one time they had white knuckles, worried they weren't going to make it back etc.

can watch the ice boom going in live @ niagara river ice boom camera