Marina Question & Answers Marina Question & Answers Marina Question & Answers Marina Question & Answers

Default Marina Question & Answers

Well, we should all be out of the slips by now, some of us getting ready for ice (maybe this year). I wanted to get some feedback on West Basin Marinas. There are a ton of us at Channel Grove Marina in Marblehead, and I have never considered changing. But I'd love to hear what others have to say about their marina of choice.
    Channel Grove has been our marina home for many years. Starting with my grandfather and now me and my brother have the slip.
    The ideal things are the location of being the first marina in East Harbor, the fact that we can literally drive up and put the tailgate of the truck over the bow of the boat, the family atmosphere, the family owners. I realize that it isn't the highest end marina with the most amenities, but as far as I know, I don't miss any amenities.

There isn't a pool, but we can get in the boat and run over to East Harbor in less than 10 min, anchor and let the kids swim. They like that more than a pool.

I have also price shopped around and can't find a better deal. Channel Grove is less for the season than any other marina with electric and drive up to boat access. In fact, other than a few private trailer courts and campground marinas for their residences, I have yet to find another marina in East or West Harbor that cost less.

What are everyone else's opinions of their marinas? Has anyone left Channel Grove and found a better place?

Most of us aren't fishing right now so we might as well talk about something associated with it!

-Matt

I've docked my boat in West Harbor for about 15 years. The first 12 years were at Catawba Moorings. It's a full service marina with all the amenities but there aren't many fishermen there, and no charter boats allowed. It's well run and it's only about 15 minutes out to the lake. But, it's not cheap. I spent 2 years at Harbor Park Marina at the south end of West harbor. Has the basics, but no pool or any other amenities. Takes about 25 minutes to get to the lake. But the cost is considerably lower than many of the other marinas in West Harbor. I like West Harbor location because it's central to both the firing range reef complex as well as the island area. Takes me 20 minutes to get to Put in Bay. Also, being on Catawba island is central to many of the restaurants and other land based amenities in the Port Clinton/Marblehead area.

I have been fishing out of Tibbels Marina for 39 years, docked there for 23 years, and have had mobile home there for 9 years. I can't picture myself anywhere else. They are family owned and operated, third generation now and the 4th generation is growing fast. They have several restaurants a short walk or golf cart ride away (Peninsula and Cleats). There is a bait shop there and Hi-Way Bait is just across the street. They have motel rooms, full hook up camper lots and have their own fleet of charter boats. The marina is only 1 mile from the lake and is in its own little deep water protected harbor within East Harbor.

Mike

PatSea,

I have heard that before about marinas with a lot of amenities not being overly popular with fisherman. I assume it's more the cost is higher and we don't need all that stuff. But it is nice to be I. A marina with a lot of charters! Not that I am one to "tailpipe" them, but if I happen follow 2 or 3 out of my channel and they all go East of Kelly's when I was planning on heading West of South Bass... I might point my bow to the East a little. Maybe...

-Matt

Mike,
    39 years! That's awesome. Channel Grove is owned by 3rd generation family as well, the Browns. They told me this year that they estimated their "average" docker had been there over 15 years... That includes multi generational dockers like me following in my grandfather's footsteps. There are some members of over 60 -70 years, and a good handful of 50 yr members.
    However, if a new person comes in they are instantly part of the family.
    Maybe it's just how us fishermen are, or maybe it's the area but it really is a nice home away from home.

Tibbles is just next door and you are right, it's a great spot. I've fished out of there and even had guests stay at Tibbles when they come. Really nice family.

-Matt

Default Marina

I have been at Meinkes West for 10 years. It is centrally located for the things I like to do. It is a clean well kept marina that is family run and they treat everyone great. The prices are good. They have 2 nice little marin a stores where they do not price gouge you. Ice for instance is a buck a bag and the fuel filter I use is a buck cheaper than at BassPro. There are 4 bait shops and 3 fish cleaners within spitting distance. You drive right up to your boat at every slip. If lake levels change and your boat looks to be in danger they take care of it or give you a call. Some of the family lives at the marina year round and security is great even in winter. They have camper spots and you can build a deck at your dock. Fishing is good even in the marina for those days too rough to go on the lake. They have many planned events through out the season and often free food on the holidays. USA Tow Boats is based at the marina. They usually have the lowest gas prices around and quality gas. There is an excellent local grocery store nearby (Jacks). I used to run 6 and under. I have been in many marinas and visited far many more. I think I will stay here. Love it. Love the people.

Quote Originally Posted by elrod00 View Post
    I have been at Meinkes West for 10 years. It is centrally located for the things I like to do. It is a clean well kept marina that is family run and they treat everyone great. The prices are good. They have 2 nice little marin a stores where they do not price gouge you. Ice for instance is a buck a bag and the fuel filter I use is a buck cheaper than at BassPro. There are 4 bait shops and 3 fish cleaners within spitting distance. You drive right up to your boat at every slip. If lake levels change and your boat looks to be in danger they take care of it or give you a call. Some of the family lives at the marina year round and security is great even in winter. They have camper spots and you can build a deck at your dock. Fishing is good even in the marina for those days too rough to go on the lake. They have many planned events through out the season and often free food on the holidays. USA Tow Boats is based at the marina. They usually have the lowest gas prices around and quality gas. There is an excellent local grocery store nearby (Jacks). I used to run 6 and under. I have been in many marinas and visited far many more. I think I will stay here. Love it. Love the people.
    That sounds great. It seems like there is a theme of "Family Owned & Operated" being a big part of a well liked marina.

-Matt

Default Dock For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    That sounds great. It seems like there is a theme of "Family Owned & Operated" being a big part of a well liked marina.

-Matt
    30 foot floating dock. Two minutes from dock to lake at no-wake speed. I don't have my GPS handy but I believe it is around 2 miles to Turtle reef for spring walleye. Often walleye can be found closer than that. About five miles to B can (perch). Facilities for fish cleaning on site. $550