When to winterize? When to winterize? When to winterize? When to winterize?

Default When to winterize?

Hey everybody,

Just was wondering when everyone winterizes their boats? I know you want to have it done before temps fall below freezing, just didn't know if there was a general time frame you all do it? Would like to be able to fish as much as I can before having to store it for winter 😞
    -2014 Tahoe Q5SF named "Fish-N-Tails"
    Tight Lines!

are you running an outboard or I/O? I have a outboard that I don't worry about winterizing because I use it late and run it early. but I have already done my 1/O. just be sure and do an I/O when they forecast a hard freeze.

Well a lot depends on your situation, and how your boat is stored. I can only speak of my personal experience.. My I/O is trailered and stored inside my barn so I have less danger than someone storing in water or outside. Like you I want to get every day in that I can before winter. Inside my barn I have a couple of trouble lights (100watt) that I stick inside the doghouse to keep anything from freezing. They will keep my block at around 50-55 degrees when outside temp is below 30. Over the years I have learned that after the first weekend in November the chances of a good weekend are very slim!! So...on the first weekend of NOV I put my boat to bed for the winter. I have had some really cold days to have to winterize but generally it is not to bad.....but after that....look out winter will be here before you know it!!

As said above it depends. We upgraded boats a few years ago we got an outboard just so we easily could fish later in the year (cant quite get the new (used) boat in the garage so she sits outside covered between the time the marina closes and the lake freezes). Last year the wife and I were out on Erie December 28th but that was a bit too late, the line kept getting iced up. I just make sure to let it drain fully before driving when it's that cold. When it's cold but not freezing yet I just tilt it down when I get home and let it drain in the yard. Only thing I hate about doing it this way is I dont have a barn so when the seasons over I end up fogging, changing the oil and lower lube outside in the winter (like to check everything before putting her away for the winter). When we had an IO the season was up way sooner. And I was mad every time there was a random nice day after the first good freeze.