shiners shiners shiners shiners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shiners

Default shiners

where's the shiners for Saturday morning

Quote Originally Posted by rscotfish View Post
    where's the shiners for Saturday morning
    Good question cause I got skunked trying to find them myself 1st time this season!
    It's All About the Journey NOT the Destination!!!

"I FIND THE FISH I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH"!!!

1994 Sportcraft Hard top 250 Fisherman

Blog Entries

Not sure, but with the problem they had getting shiners and then throw on the full moon on top of that.......could be tuff getting them..... Just my opinion

my boat looks great with all my teak done all buffed out new tarp new cushions all poles I switched over to perch poles full tank of gas 120 gallons. and when I get the chance to go I cant get bait or the wind blows to much for me I get sea sick in anything bigger then 3 ft unless im on the fish to take my mind off the waves but I need shiners for me the Goldie's make it tougher to get a good bite. so I bought a net which is 42 by 42 I used to have a friend who would get shiners this way he had to buy a license because if you don't have 1 you can only get 500 shiners a day he would have days when he got a lot more then that by throwing food out I think it was cornmeal and he had a pond that he had a net going around an area where he would dump minnows shiners and if we could not get shiners I would call him and if he did not want to fish that day I would have a bucket of shiners sitting by the boat he passed away last winter at the age of 88 he was a great person I miss him. now I went yesterday to dip shiners got 0000 but I need to make improvements to my net im dipping at Metzger's pier and in the channel there. I was wondering how and when to dip I remember him doing it in the day time at the pier and had another older gentlemen that had a tank on the back of his truck I think the guy used to run st clair bait down town we used to get minnows down there for the white bass run where we fished the east side of the river where the grain elevators are and now the bank has shrunk due to new real estate. will the full moon also affect me dipping at night. if I catch a bunch after I get mine ill give them away wish me luck

Default minows aka shiners

I asked Maumee bait they say the have minnows they are creek chubs. it seems the bait shops around here are the last ones on the route. and the ones who catch there own of course they keep shiners for there customers and there own bait shops then go around the port Clinton area I have a friend who took over hipps bait and I don't think she has had shiners 1 time she has Goldie's. I live just over the line from Toledo in Oregon. and must take a ride with the chance of not getting anything. do we have phone numbers to the bait shops that we can call and check before we drive. ill try to look them up and post but the ones east of Bessie are hard to find
    Last edited by rscotfish; 08-02-2015 at 11:18 AM.

We got 120 this morning 19 FOW off Crane Creek Beach was all by ourselves used the Goldies from Butch and Dennys , found that if you pinch them in half they resemble a Shiner we tried full at first than once we began pinching in half they really turned on, lay weight on bottom stir up some mud lift slow and they were attacking .

butch and Denney's 419-836-7351, alszuch 419-836-5264, sabrinas hook or bait old hipps 419-836-2554, happy hooker 419-898-9676, anj bait on lakeshore drive419-635-4436, hi way bait 419-734-3601, rickards 419 -734-2496 they have a mix, fishermen's wharf 419 734-9002, all mostly Goldie's. a few with a mix of very small shiners. fishermen's cave on summit across the state line in Michigan has lake erie shiners with a mix of sand shiners which she told me looked like shiners but with a brown back. hope this helps

A & J is located about 2 miles West of Camp Perry on Rt. 2 they may have a Lake Shore Drive address they are out of town a considerable distance on Rt.2.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

yes I been there but when looking it up there was anj on lake shoredrive could not find ajs on rt 2 number

I think that is their street address. Don't know their mailing address though it may be Oak Harbor. My post was not made to be critical of you just a heads up for everyone as to where the store is actually located.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip