Perch 7/11 Perch 7/11 Perch 7/11 Perch 7/11

Thread: Perch 7/11

Default Perch 7/11

The wife and I were able to get away for a perch trip today. We got to A&J Baits just in time to get emerald shiners as they were just bringing in a 5 gallon pail full when we arrived.

Headed out to B-Can area and slowed down to search for perch marks but the wife throwed a fit about the bugs (they were awful) so we ran over to C-can, bugs still bad so then on to Niagra. We set up about 500 yards SE from the can, the bugs were not very bad and they totally disappeared in the first half hour or so. We caught several in the first few minutes that we were there but only kept 6, the bite slowed down but the size improved. The action was not down and up but it was a steady bite with lots of small perch mixed in with the larger perch and very little junk. They totally shut off around 1pm so we headed in.

We finished the day with 52 perch in the cooler that went 17lbs at the cleaners so it was not a bad catching day by any means, and even without the perch (bonus) it would have been a beautiful day on the lake once the bugs left!

Friends back at the dock knocked the snot out of the perch at D-Can, 5 guys 150 perch and they left the dock at the same time we did and were back cleaning fish when we returned, the size looked like mostly 8" or better. The down side was that, they said the bugs were at times almost unbearable and their clothes showed it.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Good to see some successful reports coming in! It sure has been a long stretch of bad weather and bad lake conditions but nice to see things are finally improving. My BIL is in town for a couple of weeks and I was hoping to get him up to the lake a time or 2 so I will keep watching reports and hoping for continued improvement.

Thanks for the report!

We were North of d can catch was steady but could not stand the bugs went to h h can. but all were small

Are the bugs everyone talking about today black flies or midges? Had a few flies last Monday when we were out but really not bad. Lucky I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    Are the bugs everyone talking about today black flies or midges? Had a few flies last Monday when we were out but really not bad. Lucky I guess.
    Mostly midges but there was one other species of bug that had bigger wings and about 1/4" long. None of them were man eaters but they do drive you nuts getting in your nose, mouth and eyes plus crawling all over you, just plain irritating. There were just a very few of the stable flies (the biters) but not many. Most of those in my boat succumbed to the Home Defence that I had sprayed earlier this month.

On another note there were some decent marks that looked like perch at both B-Can and C-Can areas but the algae may get to bad for those fish to remain in those locations. At times it looked to be blooming from the surface down to about 6 inches from the surface. You could actually watch the chain of green just start appearing right before your eyes almost like a starburst. Just my opinion but I think this may become worse than even the experts are claiming it will be. Especially if it goes to being sunny and temps approach the 90s.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Muffleheads