Troll with twin 135 hp 2 strokes Troll with twin 135 hp 2 strokes Troll with twin 135 hp 2 strokes Troll with twin 135 hp 2 strokes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Troll with twin 135 hp 2 strokes

A friend has a boat with twin 135 hp 2 stroke engines. Can he troll with this set up?
    No place for a kicker on transum. Will these engines foul out plugs at trolling speed.
    Appreciate any input you can give. Thanks in advance. Mike

I trolled with my 150 mercury optimax when I had my center console and never fouled a plug!

Pearl, did you drag bags?

Just run 1 motor awhile, then switch. I would think you could idle along nicely with 1 motor. Shouldn't need bags, just run into the wave for control and speed.

We have twin 150's. We only use one when trolling. Alternating sides if we move. Generally we have to use a bag to slow us down. We haven't had any issues. Knock on wood.

I troll with my 150 4 stroke with a trolling plate... don't know just how a 2 stroke will perform.

I have an old 79 model 115 hp merc inline 6 and troll all the time with a trolling plate and no problem with fouling plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB View Post
    A friend has a boat with twin 135 hp 2 stroke engines. Can he troll with this set up?
    No place for a kicker on transum. Will these engines foul out plugs at trolling speed.
    Appreciate any input you can give. Thanks in advance. Mike
    If you are still apprehensive with the advise you have received so far, I would give it a try with one motor at first and see if I could get the boat slow enough without trolling bags to start, I would do this on my way to the lake from the slip/ramp or at least before I got clear out to where I was wanting to fish, that way if you need a bag/bags you could return to slip/ramp and get the needed bag/bags before you are miles from your point of origin. I would also restrict myself to the use of just one particular motor and not use the other one until I determined if the low RPMs would foul the spark plugs. I would also have an extra set of spark plugs along for backup if spark plug fouling would occur. That is if it would be possible to change the spark plugs on the water. Just my honest opinion!

LOL!!! Please don't ask me how I based my opinion on this matter!
    Last edited by wakina; 07-10-2015 at 09:29 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    If you are still apprehensive with the advise you have received so far, I would give it a try with one motor at first and see if I could get the boat slow enough without trolling bags to start, I would do this on my way to the lake from the slip/ramp or at least before I got clear out to where I was wanting to fish, that way if you need a bag/bags you could return to slip/ramp and get the needed bag/bags before you are miles from your point of origin. I would also restrict myself to the use of just one particular motor and not use the other one until I determined if the low RPMs would foul the spark plugs. I would also have an extra set of spark plugs along for backup if spark plug fouling would occur. That is if it would be possible to change the spark plugs on the water. Just my honest opinion!

Pretty much this. I'll just add to keep a 5 gallon bucket out two in the truck for that particular day. That works in place of a bag in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post

Pretty much this. I'll just add to keep a 5 gallon bucket out two in the truck for that particular day. That works in place of a bag in a pinch.