Sauger Sauger Sauger Sauger
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sauger

Either way sauger or saugeye a nice catch on gull island shoal the taxidermist said he believed it was a sauger but would call and let me know when he started to skin it if it wasn't since it was frozen and wrapped in bag with newspaper . He said the gap between the first and second dorsal was farther apart than a saugeye would be also said the 2 spines sticking up behind the second dorsal also meant it was a sauger. Either way it was a nice looking fish sorry for the picture not having more angles of it still a cool catch either way sauger or saugeye a rare catch on Erie . Just going on what we have been told.
    Thanks
    Capt Erik
    Bose-Man Sportfishing

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Unless an experienced fisheries biologist or very knowledgeable fish identification person saw the fish in person it is hard to tell. The photo isn't bad but you'd need a few more photos and close ups to really make a good determination. I've seen at least once where two or three fisheries biologists were looking at a strangely marked walleye/saugeye/sauger and they weren't sure exactly what it was, it's species makeup. Only a DNA test would be conclusive. As a past fisheries guy trained in fish ID I'd say the chance it is a pure sauger is slim, but possible. Sauger are even fairly rare in most of the Lake Erie tributaries. They are naturally a river species, moving water. Most likely it is a hybrid or a very unusual walleye. It is not uncommon in Lake Erie to catch walleye with a variety of color phases and a bit different markings. Either way as mention in another post it is a very unique catch and worth mounting. It is also possible it has some Blue Pike DNA, which may help explain some unusual characteristics. Great fish story, thanks for sharing it!