Belt squeal? Belt squeal? Belt squeal? Belt squeal?

Thread: Belt squeal?

Default Belt squeal?

I have a Baha with a 6.2 mercruiser and I have noticed when i accelerate up to cruising speed that i get what sounds like a belt squeal or harmonic squeal that lasts for about a second or two right around 3500 rpms. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix for this and it is something to be concerned about? It seems to go away real quick and its not like there is a hick up in the acceleration or the rpms its just that sound.

If it is a serpentine belt first try some belt dressing and lube the spring on the tensioning mechanism, sometimes it sticks or does not move in time with the belt stretch as you accelerate. Cars do the same thing but the noise is hidden by the engine compartment. Also check for belt wear on the non pulley side( smooth side) it get polished and can slip some. It will be super shiny and slippery to the touch. It could develops into a problem if left unattended, almost all belt squeals are caused by the tensioner, worn belt or both.

If it is a standard v belt system try some dressing and check that all belts are tight.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-21-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Thanks Wakina

probably the idler pulley, very common problem, replace the belt also , easy to do in 15 minutes , belt dressing is a band aid approach.

Should be about a inch of play when you move it up and down

The the idler pulley and the belt tensioning mechanism are the same thing. Good belt dressing does more than make the pulley(s) and belt sticky it also penetrates the belt to help keep them softer and more pliable. Depending on the layout of the belt tracking the back of the belt may also turn more than just the belt tensioning pulley/mechanism, the back of the belt is usually what produces the squeal. Changing the belt is actually very good insurance against a broken belt. If you don't have a diagram of the belt routing you can always take a picture for reference. As stated the serpentine belts are much more easier to change than the multiple v belts. Make sure the belt idler pulley/tensioning mechanism is functioning properly.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Where is the best place to get a belt for this motor?

I would take the old belt to Advance Auto parts or Auto Zone and have them check the overall diameter and width as well as the grippers on the inside. It is most likely a standard GM issued Belt but will cost you less than 1/2 as much as a Mercrusier belt. Napa would be my next choice as they sell the Sierra brand marine parts. Dubbert Marine carries mercruiser parts and may have one in stock.

Those engines come completely assembled, belts and all from the various engine manufacturers ready to install into the new hull. If the belt number is still visable they will be able to cross refernce it, it most likely will be the GM marine number(same number as a car or truck belt with an added letter or 2) on it unless it has been changed before. I am assuming it is a GM 6.2L/377CID stroker engine.

If it is a Bravo Out Drive and 2000 or newer this is the listed Mercruiser part number for the serpentine belt. This belt will also work with an Alpha Drive with the raw water pump mounted on the bottom of the engine on a bracket like the Bravo uses. Here is the link. http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mercru...nt-p-3511.html

I hope this helps you!
    Last edited by wakina; 06-22-2015 at 08:08 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS