Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Check the lounge for a link to the Department of Homeland Security, USCG, Navigation Rules.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I agree with that. Like I said, I tend to stay away from packs so i don't have to deal with this most of the time. If I do, i would either adjust my path as much as possible with the electric, or just pull in the lines and make another pass. No sense getting in a scuffle over it. That being said, it does seem like the "rules of the road" are a bit antiquated for today's reality. The fact is, a boat under engine power can troll any direction they want, and usually do. Therefore, it is FAR easier for them to adjust their path (most of the time) than it is for those trolling down-wind with an electric motor. The current rules of the road do not take this into account. That was my point. Not going to lose any sleep over it, just wanted to point it out.

you will like this one i was trolling saturday with big boards and a sail boat was approaching me from behind, i was going 1.4 with big boards the sail boat much faster, he almost ran me over I got on the radio and asked if he wanted me to go left or right I couldn't get out of the way I went to the left as the sail boat got closer he did a 180 What are the rules of the road, I know the sail boat has the right away but can you someone over?

Trolling with an electric shouldn't matter at all. You do have a gas motor as well you can easily start to change course. It's by choice you use one motor over another.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Lol. I read the first post and wondered... "Why did they move this thread, it looks like. Nice report to me". Then I kept reading.
    Lol. Things can get heated in here and when information is not provided then assumptions are made.
    I assume that if someone is running boards, then they are under power. If a boat has its nose pointed in the direction it is headed then I would assume it is under power. If someone is drifting sideways with bags then they are not under power.
    If someone is drifter, pointed into the waves being "assisted" by an electric motor... How is it that I, as a powerboat, am supposed to know that. If I see boards and a boat pointed bow-first into an oncoming wind then I would automatically assume they are under power.
    Just saying....

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    you will like this one i was trolling saturday with big boards and a sail boat was approaching me from behind, i was going 1.4 with big boards the sail boat much faster, he almost ran me over I got on the radio and asked if he wanted me to go left or right I couldn't get out of the way I went to the left as the sail boat got closer he did a 180 What are the rules of the road, I know the sail boat has the right away but can you someone over?
    Here is some information on the subject! Check out #6 in the following link. The vessel being over took is the stand on vessel and has the right of way the vessel over taking the other vessel must give way.

http://spinnaker-sailing.com/online-courses/lesson-3

It is also addressed in another link in Rule #13

http://navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(i) a vessel not under command;
    (ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver;
    (iii) a vessel engaged in fishing;
    (iv) a sailing vessel.

So would you consider drifting and casting a fishing vessel?

Quote Originally Posted by Just One More View Post

So would you consider drifting and casting a fishing vessel?
    Nope. "a vessel engaged in fishing" refers to commercial fishing vessels only. Our regular fishing boats are the bottom of the totem pole. lol

A drifter would be considered "not under command" as the motor is off and the captain is probably fishing and not at the wheel.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters