Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing Thanks for the help, good week of fishing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thanks for the help, good week of fishing

Stayed on Kelley's island the week before memorial day and had a great time. Weather was perfect, no big waves or flat water and was able to fish every day. I kept an eye on this board and it kept saying everything was west of the island....well the reports were correct. I didn't go as far west as the big line of boats but we never needed to, for the most part we were alone or only had 1-2 boats around us most of the time which was nice. You always run into a couple tailpipers when you're on a bite like is going on but most didn't hang around long, I think they were fishing a little different as I didn't see them swinging the net much and would get frustrated when we would pull fish from under their boat. I especially appreciate the boat from OH who either A) doesn't like out of staters B) didn't like me or C) doesn't like anybody on his lake as I was getting pinched off by another boat and couldn't turn away anymore (his other side was open but he chose not to turn) he just walks up to the bow of his boat to see how close my board would come to his boat....We were fishing a flat and the fish were everywhere but he chose to watch my board come within 5 feet of his boat and them proceeds to pull in behind and follow me running over the top of my bait......oh well we caught a couple fish from under him and then he decided to try somewhere else. We had our 3 man limit of 20"+ fish everyday in anywhere from 2-6 hours so all was good, big fish was 30.25" but the average was below last year. We couldn't find many fish east of the island, I hope that isn't a sign of a population decline but more the fish moved on to somewhere else. I love the fishery and hope that regulation stays ahead of things to ensure a healthy population for years to come. Thanks for all the advice on here, I was just using simple bottom bouncers and spinners. My way seems old school to jet divers and other stuff but it still seemed to work. I also feel bad for the charters that tailpiped us, I hope they got some fish for their customers, living and working there I would think they could stay on the fish better than having to follow someone that fishes there 1 week a year....

Funny.....we had a charter boat last Saturday that was doing the same thing to us just south of Kelly's....he would keep pushing into us even though there were no other boats around us. It was like he didn't want us fishing "his" spot. I hate it when people act like they own the lake.

Glad you had a good trip!

Were you crossing in front of him from his port side by chance? If not, he was being a jerk. If so, you were in the wrong. He would have been the stand on vessel, and you were supposed to give way. (Rules of the road).
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

We've all been there. We had one of our inline boards hit by someone's big boards on Saturday because they didn't make any effort to turn. There's no license required to own a boat unfortunately.

6 days on the water and very few incidents. I personally don't care what side you are on when everyone is at trolling speed (under 2 mph) and we all at the time were around 1.3 and he could see over 1/2 mile away that he was heading for the trolling line of a few other boats he shouldn't have crowded everyone else. Someone like that wouldn't last very long in the crowds on lake Michigan. The large charter guys at least put an effort in to avoid other boats, all the charter guys were fine in my book, I don't mind when they pull in behind me, it's when people cut you off that really sucks. Using the excuse that you are on my port side and I don't have to move for nothing excuse is just being a jerk and will cause you problems if you ever fish crowded waters. But some people are jerks no matter what and it is what they like to do, I just let them be and go on with my day, I have bigger things to think about than to let rude people ruin my day, like I said, it was a good fun trip. Good luck to everyone else that is going out.

We if I have or don't have the right away I move out of the way you won't believe how many times I've changed course only to have my rods start popping. if everyone one would just make little adjustments everything would be fine but some people just have to paint that trail.

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post
    6 days on the water and very few incidents. I personally don't care what side you are on when everyone is at trolling speed (under 2 mph) and we all at the time were around 1.3 and he could see over 1/2 mile away that he was heading for the trolling line of a few other boats he shouldn't have crowded everyone else. Someone like that wouldn't last very long in the crowds on lake Michigan. The large charter guys at least put an effort in to avoid other boats, all the charter guys were fine in my book, I don't mind when they pull in behind me, it's when people cut you off that really sucks. Using the excuse that you are on my port side and I don't have to move for nothing excuse is just being a jerk and will cause you problems if you ever fish crowded waters. But some people are jerks no matter what and it is what they like to do, I just let them be and go on with my day, I have bigger things to think about than to let rude people ruin my day, like I said, it was a good fun trip. Good luck to everyone else that is going out.
    The rules of the road were put in place to determine which vessel has the right of way and which vessel must alter their course, this is regardless of speed or compass heading. Being on the water is not like being in the old west where the biggest or fastest gun won the day. The rules were put in place for a reason.

By your own words you also knew that the boat in question was headed in a direction that would most likely intersect your's at the wrong time, but you still insist that the other fellow had to alter his course for what has to be 1 of 2 reasons, the first reason would be that the vessel in question was approaching you from your port side and in following the rules of the road that would be the correct reason for making your argument, the 2nd reason would be as you stated that he knew there would be a conflict in the courses of his and your vessels and by your post you obviously knew it also, and that he should have to altered course no matter which side you were approching him from simply because you said so and that reason is incorrect.

The other rule that would apply would be that both of you are required to take any and all course changes necessary to avoid a collision on the water.

After reading and re reading your post and you having made this statement " I personally don't care what side you are on when everyone is at trolling speed" I find it hard to believe that you follow the nautical rules of the road at all. " I personally don't care", is a powerful statement on what you believe in. We as boaters are all bound by the same rules while on the water while under power. The rules are simple and are designed that way so almost everyone can read and comprehend what they mean.

You became defensive about the post Capt Juls made so it leads me to believe that you were on his right coming from his port side.

Your attitude about the Nautical Rules of the road in this situation leads me and probably others on this forum to believe you are as big of a jerk as the person you are talking about.

penalty box Has the best solution for almost all situations on the water, if possible alter course and grin and bear it. It is not worth wrecking your day over.
    Tight Lines:
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

It didn't ruin my day. I fail to understand how he has the right of way running at a 45 degree angle to waves while the rest of us were trolling a drift line with the wind not under power....please explain? Or are you just like that jerk and like to cut off those of us that are drifting? Either way I would do like I did and pick a different line to drift when I came to the end of it. Hope you feel better now, have a nice weekend.

Not trying to star or contribute to the argument this is just for my education. If you are not under power and an approaching boat is closing on a collision course, who is responsible for changing course? I know sail boats under wind power have the right of way but how about drifting boats?

Just want to point out that your post says you were trolling and not drifting, you don't know the difference or what. So lets make it clear I don't usually fish in crowds, and I always follow the rules of the road that is what they are for, those 2 things usually keep me away from the senario that you described. You said the things that you said they were your words not mine so take responsibility for them. You still have not said who was approaching from the port side. i really do believe that you need to take a safe boaters class. Most often they are free or is it that you personally don't care. I am history from this thread so have a nice day.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip