little board question little board question little board question little board question

Default little board question

well since my boat is broke down we are going to fish on larry's 18 footer, we fished last Saturday and used the little boards, no tangles got our fish but I have a question. Lets say you have 2 boards out on one side and want to bring the far board in to check it. Is there and easy way to do it without bringing the inside board in as well. We have always used the big boards, but it was something different and didn't work out to bad.

Dave, if you don't have a fish on....the board should stay outside the inner board as you bring it in to check. Sometimes I will turn the boat to the side I'm pulling in and that helps keep it outside as you bring it in. You can still do it with a fish on but you will probably have to turn into it since the fish pulling will make it difficult for the board to keep tracking out. I make sure to keep plenty of space between boards...like 50 feet...to help eliminate tangles I've seen others run them closer but it's not worth the possibility of tangles for me...especially when running RR's as they tend to be a little more erratic.

Eyezcrazy is right on! Also another way is to start bringing in the outside board and at the same time free spool the inside board back until the inside board will swing behind the outside boards lure. Use the line counter to help determine how much is enough. Example would be once both reels show the same amount of line out you can lock up the inside reel and the inside board will start to swing to the outside of the outside board which is being retrieved. Do not stop retrieving the outside board and you will not have any tangles. Once the outside board has been recovered you can then if you want bring the inside board back in to the previous location from the boat. It takes longer to explain it than to actually do it, it is quick and simple so long as your math is correct. This method works well with a fish on also.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    It takes longer to explain it than to actually do it,
    Lol....I was thinking he same thing. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is!

Depends on what your running. With cranks and jets you can free spool but with any diving/weighted system you can really run into trouble. Usually I will take the outside board rod, go to the back corner of the boat and raise the rod as high as I can. this slowly gets the out side or really any board to fall back out of formation. Once there is enough room to clear the other lines ( reason for the out side to be the highest in the water column) point the rod at the opposite corner of the boat ( other boards) and real like crazy. If required, adjust the steering of the boat to help. Or, if you run your boards so the front clip releases, just pop the rod butt, the clip releases and the board goes behind the boat automatically. Then to reset your line, run it out the back of the boat far enough so you can swing it right back into where it was in formation. I can run 5 Offshores/side doing this method. With the Church boards for me they run further back at an angle and I have more trouble trying to do what I stated above. All just a learning curve. Hope that makes sense.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Depends on what your running. With cranks and jets you can free spool but with any diving/weighted system you can really run into trouble. Usually I will take the outside board rod, go to the back corner of the boat and raise the rod as high as I can. this slowly gets the out side or really any board to fall back out of formation. Once there is enough room to clear the other lines ( reason for the out side to be the highest in the water column) point the rod at the opposite corner of the boat ( other boards) and real like crazy. If required, adjust the steering of the boat to help. Or, if you run your boards so the front clip releases, just pop the rod butt, the clip releases and the board goes behind the boat automatically. Then to reset your line, run it out the back of the boat far enough so you can swing it right back into where it was in formation. I can run 5 Offshores/side doing this method. With the Church boards for me they run further back at an angle and I have more trouble trying to do what I stated above. All just a learning curve. Hope that makes sense.
    That is my basic plan of action, only I usually move the inside board out, move it up a rod holder and reset the (was outside board) to the inside.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post

LOL!!! That sure got away from me didn't it. I left out the most important part. ebijack, I am sure glad you mentioned the fact that it works best if you are not running inlines or tadpoles or some other type of weighted system.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

You don't let many get by you, and I was awake enough and enough coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    That is my basic plan of action, only I usually move the inside board out, move it up a rod holder and reset the (was outside board) to the inside.
    For me, I don't move boards out futher in the spread as I try to keep the highest/shallowest lines right where they are. Also If I start to get fish on closer in rods, means I can bring all my boards in closer. Which at times I can run snap weights right off the side instead of using as many boards.

thanks guys looks about 2 weeks to fix my boat I sent the outdrive back to SEI going to be fixed under warranty. So I will try to improve my fishing with the little boards this weekend.