Best breading/oil Best breading/oil Best breading/oil Best breading/oil
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If you want to change up a little, try this:Use a aluminum pan lay fillets in pan drizzel fillets with seasoned melted butter. Cover fillets with chopped vidalia onion, drizzel lemon juice over fillets and onions place on grill till they flake.
    The seasoning I use is Chef Prudhomme seafood, lemon pepper, and salt. My favorite way to cook walleye at the campground. Grab a cold one and watch it cook. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Daddyhags View Post
    If you want to change up a little, try this:Use a aluminum pan lay fillets in pan drizzel fillets with seasoned melted butter. Cover fillets with chopped vidalia onion, drizzel lemon juice over fillets and onions place on grill till they flake.
    The seasoning I use is Chef Prudhomme seafood, lemon pepper, and salt. My favorite way to cook walleye at the campground. Grab a cold one and watch it cook. LOL
    I will absolutely try this this summer. My dad would give that up. Thanks for the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    I'm a fan of Drakes if the oil is hot/perfect and the batter doesn't get soggy. However, I've been using my Mom's old recipe which is crushed Saltine crackers, with filets dipped in egg. Surprisingly simple and good! You can season the crushed crackers to your liking. Where do you get this Andy's?
    I really like using peanut oil.....or for special occasions lard. Adds great flavor. always use golden dip cajun or Andy's cajun

I tried something new recently.Scramble up some eggs,mix in a little milk,salt and pepper.Put fillets in zip lock bag add mixture let set over night(turn bag over once in awhile). When ready,take another zip lock bag add Progresso Bread Crumbs add a little flour and mix well.Pull fillets out of egg mixture,let egg drain off a bit and put in bag of bread crumbs shake up well covering up all of fillet.(I used Italian style bread crumbs,use whatever kind you prefer).Next I used large skillet and added oil,half inch or so in depth of skillet.Heated on med hi.When oil is good in hot added fillets.I fried 3 to 4 minutes first side,until brown and crispy looking. turn over fillet and fry 2-3 minutes till brown and crispy.In my book pretty darn GOOD!!! With that said I think I will thaw out a bag of Eyes LOL!!!

Fryin' Magic if I don't have any of my homemade made up. Never compared oils. My homemade is corn flake crumbs, flour and Lawrey's seasoned salt.

Cleaned fillets, put pieces into 1/2 & 1/2 with eggs, dredge in home made batter. Put into zip lock/then fridge for around 30 minutes. Makes batter adhere much better, then fry in clear frying oil. Over the years I found an electric fryer to be a lot easier than my propane fryer and really easier than my cast iron pan. But that is me.

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

My crowd pleasing recipe is no trade secret...take your nicely cleaned and trimmed fillets, Shake them in a combo of Andy's yellow and Andy's red, usually about 50/50. Heat up some peanut oil to 340-350, drop em in and cook until the bubbles start to slow down. I have done this very simple recipe for years, and have had n9n fish eat er s going back for seconds. I prefer some fresh lemon squeezed on the fillets with a touch of tarter, couple that with some seasoned fries and u have a meal fit for a king.....try the same batter on gills, only use more yellow batter........delicious. Wal mart sells small bags of the Andys, but I purchase big 5 lb bags at rural king. Trade secret is to keep the oil hot, and maybe add a lil garlic butter.

50/50 mix cornflake crumbs and flour some seasoned salt to taste thro in hot oil makes for some good eatin!!! On the grill in fish basket start with a layer of bacon then a layer of walleye or perch or gills, then another layer of bacon cokk over low heat turning often lets the bacon grease flow thru the fish when bacon is done remove and eat more good eatin!!!

Ok this is even better on Perch, but dip fillets in milk, roll in a 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal with salt, pepper, or other to taste (or even just plain) fry in really hot oil and eat with homeade cocktail sauce (ketchup, fresh ground horseradish, and some Worchestershire), serve with lemon wedges if you like. This is the only way we make perch, but Walleye in chunks like this is just as good! Enjoy! See you all out there!

Crushed rice crispies and grated Parmesan cheese. My gal eats gluten free, so I came up this and love it. Approx 2/3 or 3/4 crushed rice crispies, the remainder cheap parm cheese. I'll usually add some garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley flakes. Dip in egg/milk wash then breading. Fry between 375-400. Light, crispy, and tasty. Good for perch or walleye.

Another I really like for walleye is using potato buds for the breading. Excellent.

I like peanut oil, but any veg oil will suffice. GFS has a good price on peanut oil.

Pete