Conneaut walleye Conneaut walleye Conneaut walleye Conneaut walleye
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Check my last post and go to Conneaut. The fish are closer and better schooled. I limited today trolling north on the 32.5W line starting just south of the 06N and stopping when the marks thinned out. Went back below the 06N and trolled the 33W line. Switched the Jr Thunderstick to a Hot Pink Christal Clown DDHJ 12 on the wire and took 2 nice eyes with it. Everything else came on my hot pink willow blades back 111'-135' on Dipseys on a 3 setting.

2. Default

Thanks dr ed. Weather permitting we will give it a whirl on Monday. Does it make any sense to run boards and jet divers? Or stick with dipseys and riggers?

The answer is simple and complicated. I always try to keep it simple. If dipseys on short leads are working, why change? If spoons and cranks are working, why bother with worms? If inline sinkers in SS line cut your leads in half, why run your lures out 300+ feet? When side planers and jet divers are really productive, or perhaps the downriggers, why change? I always listen with my radio in scanner mode and many times will pick up a presentation that is working for someone near by and if I have it on board, I will switch a nonproductive method to one that might do a better job. Often it is just a color, a lead, a speed or a direction of troll. Subtle changes can often make a big difference. Try to find out what is working for the locals before hitting the water. There is a lot of useful info at the bait shops and on the rigging line by the ramps. Hope some of this helps you. Remember those walleye aren't going anywhere until they are in your net....

4. Default

Thanks Dr Ed.. Good thoughts... I'm gonna have 4 people on the boat so we'll throw the kitchen sick at em...

I'll report back...

5. Exclamation

Caught 10 walleye. Biggest was 8 lbs. 70 Fow. All scorpion and stinger spoons. 2 off riggers 2 off dipsy and rest off tru trip 50's run off of big boards...

Tried many times to call you. Announced each fish on Ch. 14 and 68 but never got much feedback. Fished the same area as the last 2 trips with the same presentations I mentioned before. Eleven eyes including 2 Fish Ohio. Pink was the color of the day for me. The rest of the week looks sloppy and I don't like fishing in white water. Keep in touch. Nice to hear spoons are working. What colors worked the best for you and at what speed?
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 09-09-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: More text

7. Default

Speeds from 1.8 to 2.3...

Most hits came off a copper colored scorpion with a couple light pink dots on it...

I'm sure that spoon has a name but I couldn't find it. Anyway, I am not suicidal but I went chasing the fish this AM. Jack at Snug Harbor told me the walleye had moved in and I should start at the 04.5N line and he was right. I had 4 fish in the first 30 minutes and then the wind really picked up. In describing the lake conditions as I approached the 06N, the old nautical word "gnarly" comes to mind. White water everywhere and 3 to 5 footers with an occasional 6 and 7. The wind was 20 plus. Mother Nature can be testy at times so I apologized for bothering her and turned the Holly Lucas toward the marina. It was a fun 50 minute boat ride and there will be other days.

9. Default

That spoon might be called "Confusion", ''Mass Confusion" or "Balls of Confusion"....

Very confusing-----pun intended....