Any Perch around the Cans?? Any Perch around the Cans?? Any Perch around the Cans?? Any Perch around the Cans??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any Perch around the Cans??

I am heading up this Friday and Saturday from Cincinnati to do some perch fishing with my son. This will probably be our only trip up this year so I would like him to see some action. Does anybody know if the perch are still biting north of the cans or anywhere else in the vicinity? We will be launching out of Magee East Marina.

Thanks for any information.

Blog Entries

There are post in here that says 1 mile north of b can and I myself have been getting them around 2 or 3 mile West of Green and Rattle Snake Is, There around you just have to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by cblewis View Post
    I am heading up this Friday and Saturday from Cincinnati to do some perch fishing with my son. This will probably be our only trip up this year so I would like him to see some action. Does anybody know if the perch are still biting north of the cans or anywhere else in the vicinity? We will be launching out of Magee East Marina.

Thanks for any information.
    Launching from there I would start in the North of B-can area. And then move to C-can if not doing anything at B-can. If you have a VHF Marine radio I will be out and on 72, give me a shout and I will let you know how we are doing. I will probably start North of B-can. It is entirely possible shiners will be in short supply due to the full moon. Some bait stores are already short on shiners.
    Last edited by wakina; 08-13-2014 at 07:31 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

OK - thanks guys - looking forward to it.

5. Default

What size are the shinners you guys get, I am coming from Il this weekend and can bring some with me. We have flatheads, baby roachs and crappie minnows we use all of them in Lake Mich. I am thinking they are more like a crappie minnow. Thanks and we will be on the water Sat afternoon, I ran a Black 2150 Lund Baron I'll be on 72 also.
    FL

Blog Entries

Hopefully bait shops should have shinners by this weekend. They have a tuff time getting them when we have a full moon. But the ones we have been getting are on the big size, been cutting them in half and been doing good with them

Coming out of meinke marina west how far of a ride it it to B can??? 10 miles or so?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OHIO_DUCKER2000 View Post
    Hopefully bait shops should have shinners by this weekend. They have a tuff time getting them when we have a full moon. But the ones we have been getting are on the big size, been cutting them in half and been doing good with them
    We have been doing the same cutting them into 2 or 3 pieces. It sure beats those Pinheads we usually get this time of year. As far as availability this weekend we will just have to wait and see. The moon is just a little over half of full right now and waning so maybe early night will allow the minnow boats to gather enough to get us by. Seems like it is about 10 days during the full moon period that they are tuff to come by, 4 or 5 days before, during and after the full moon.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin'Lectrician View Post
    What size are the shinners you guys get, I am coming from Il this weekend and can bring some with me. We have flatheads, baby roachs and crappie minnows we use all of them in Lake Mich. I am thinking they are more like a crappie minnow. Thanks and we will be on the water Sat afternoon, I ran a Black 2150 Lund Baron I'll be on 72 also.
    FL
    You can get a good debate started on here about minnows for perch. The conventional thinking is that nothing beats Lake Shinners and that inland minnows like fatheads don't work very well. Sometimes the bait shops get golden shinners when the Lake Shiners aren't available...some fishermen swear by goldens and some at them. If I couldn't get live shinners, I would take frozen emeralds next over anything else, then goldens third. Spotfin shinners are real good, but hard to find.

As for size, I want a 1 1/2 inch thick minnow to hold the hook easily. For bigger minnows lots of times we cut them in two...sometimes all you need is a quarter inch chunk on the hook. Avoid pinheads...they are too skinny to keep on the hook and you get robbed blind.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin'Lectrician View Post
    FL
    I am not telling you not to bring them as that is a personal choice! But, I do believe it is illegal to bring any fish alive or frozen across the Ohio state lines for use in any body of water in the state. This is due to the VSH disease that can be easily transported in a bucket full or frozen container of bait fish. Even frozen bait fish can still be carriers as the virus can survive freeze thaw cycles. I will post availability of shiners as early as I can on Friday so you will know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_h...gic_septicemia
    Last edited by wakina; 08-14-2014 at 06:22 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS