The Noobie Blues The Noobie Blues The Noobie Blues The Noobie Blues
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Victory!!

Guys, I'm sure there were boats on the lake today that boxed more fish than the Harsh Reality.... but none of those fisherman were happier than I was. We only caught two fish but they were 5.5 and 6.8 lbs each. I was thrilled. 30 jets 110 feet back off the boards with pink/purple/black harnesses on copper blades. Both fish off canada border in 50 feet of water. 1.7 mph on gps. We were out until 1:30 or so and had a great time. Going back tomorrow for more! Thanks again to all of you who have helped me sort things out as a new walleye fisherman. Very grateful! If you heard two guys hooting and hollering in thier boat today it was us!!

Default And more fun!

Boxed one 7 lb fish today early on a harness and 30 jet back 105 feet on a board. Disappointingly lost 4 others over the course of the following 6 hours. Pink/black/purple harnesses in 30-35 fow. Ran two #0 dipsys with our 30 jets today. They were back 220 and 230 ft. We lost most of our fish on these sets. I'm blaming it on the hooks I used in tying my harnesses. Curious to know what you guys use and if you use a treble for the bottom hook on yours? Having a blast and burning lots of gas!

I like #1 and #2 gamakatsu octopus hooks. Couple other suggestions when fighting eyes:

1. Don't pump your rod. Hold it out in front of you on a 45 degree angle and just reel steady.

2. If your running braid for your dipsey rods it isn't very forgiving. No need to set the hook like a wild man. You will rip the hooks right out. 220-230 is a super long lead. more line out = more opportunities for fish to get away.

Only fished an hour this morning and boxed three before the sheer pin on my bowmount busted into three pieces. Sending me home early to make repairs for tomorrow.

Default Thanks

Sounds like you were on them this am! Radio chatter sounded like everyone was struggling today. Counted 85 boats out there! Tried to stay out of the pack to avoid a tangle! Sorry to hear about your shear pin. When we're not running them we're fixing them! Thanks for your tips. I"ll be buying new hooks this week and retying harnesses! Keeps me out of trouble.

Talking

Great suggestions here- congrats Harsh Reality on your success! I got out Saturday morning and managed two in 45 fow off Seneca, one 3 lbs and the other 5. Reports I have gotten is that lots of boats got skunked- kind of like me that last time I went out! so you did well.

I haven't "graduated" yet to the more advanced tactics- with what you have sounds like you're well on your way. I still just bottom bounce harnesses that I tie with materials from Rainbow Sports. A watermelon pattern with a willow leaf blade was the ticket last Saturday. Most other times I fish the evenings using 5 chartreuse beads and Colorado blades.

Great suggestions on this thread and throughout the site. I only get out after walleyes a few times each summer so don't have as much to contribute, but agree with the comments about just trying different things and the key is really about finding the fish. Which still can be quite a hunt many times.

Hey Nate,

Thanks. Headed out again friday this week. I"ll post a report. We don't know what we're doing but we're having fun anyway! Black/pink/purple colorado blades have produced best for us lately. Tight lines.

Matt

Default lead core

Okay guys, I've been watching the lead core discussion on the other thread. I'm new to this and have two lead core rods I run. Both are spooled fully with 10 color lead and 30 feet of mono leader... the way they were when I got them. From what I have read, it seems others spool up the reel with braid or mono backer, then 2 to 7 colors of lead core, then a leader. Can you run them either way, or should I be changing my set ups to the second method? Not sure how you know how much backer to let out with your lead when you're running and not sure what they mean by better action on their set ups? Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Reality View Post
    Okay guys, I've been watching the lead core discussion on the other thread. I'm new to this and have two lead core rods I run. Both are spooled fully with 10 color lead and 30 feet of mono leader... the way they were when I got them. From what I have read, it seems others spool up the reel with braid or mono backer, then 2 to 7 colors of lead core, then a leader. Can you run them either way, or should I be changing my set ups to the second method? Not sure how you know how much backer to let out with your lead when you're running and not sure what they mean by better action on their set ups? Any help is appreciated.
    I purchased a few leadcore setups from Fishkiller. He puts backer on - I'm sure hell respond to how much he does - I'm not sure. Then he puts the leadcore. weather it be 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, & 10 color. I He then puts 75 ft of leader material. I have 2,5,7 & 10 color. I have been using the 2,5 & 7 color. I usually put the leadcore out then 5 passes of the reel or approx. 50 ft. It's been working for me.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

Was slow today. Boxed two fish, 7# and 8.5#. Harnesses in Orange/Red/black and pink/black/copper. One on 30 jet 100 back on a board, one on a size 0 dipsy 112 feet back 2.2 mph on both, turning into the waves. They were hard to find. At the launch one fisherman said they used the riggers to get on the bottom on a hunch and hit three fish that they never marked in 60+ fow. Good luck!

Okay guys,

Struck out friday, struck out today. Going out again on tuesday. Last place I marked fish was NE of dunkirk in 65 fow. Anybody have any pointers or spots that are treating them well right now?