Catawba State Park Catawba State Park Catawba State Park Catawba State Park
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks all for the updates, are they going out of Anchor Point/ Metzgar's Marsh to area inside intake? I fished there many years ago .

We have a group of 10 are heading for lake Simcoe North of Toronto first thing Thursday morning for Lakers, White Fish and Big Perch be back Sunday night , will let all know how we do , it is a yearly trip fishing is great if you have never been there try it !

We have 2 openings if anybody wants to go , we would need to meet first to discuss , you would need a passport , we rent the same house every year in Perfallaw Ontario

Hope to Fish Catawba Next week.

Default MODIS Image

I have been unable to get an up to date satellite image of Lake Erie the last couple of days. Has anyone else had this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by ClayBengal View Post
    I have been unable to get an up to date satellite image of Lake Erie the last couple of days. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Here is the last one from today!

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/web...e.143.250m.jpg

Here is the link to all of the Pics. hopefully one or the other will work for you.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mod...egion=e&page=1
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

yeah, that satellite image is very neat to look at. Looks like the western basin is somewhat locked in. Soo, with the thaw bein over now, what would you guys say the average ice thickness is north and west of catawba a mile or 2. Did it melt down to 2 or 3 inches or are we still at 6-8 inches? I would like to head up this weekend

Question

Was there this evening. 1 snowmobile, 3 Quads, & a Polaris Razor. Off point were current starts to run shoreline north. 2 1/2". Oh my! Head west. That was close. We went out to 20ft due west & found 7" & 8" ice. Thank goodness cold weather is moving back in. Warm weather & snow melt has taken its toll, but it's still there & will be safe by Saturday. I think with weather forecast in 10-12 days it will be "Run at will". Till then? Travel in packs, go slow, & check often. Shoves are starting to invert & we are expecting wind next 2 days. See ya Saturday. I have this & that to do's to get ready. Think it will be shanty season for a while. Have not used mine yet.

Alrighty, thanks for the info man. So whats the best lures to use. Sweedish pimples tipped with a mini with a pop and drop motion? Im pumped and ready to go. Could end up bein a banner year. Just looked at Channel 10 Columbus meteorologist Chris Bradleys facebook page and he posted a graphic showing extended cold from now all the way through early February. Thats what we wanna hear.

Smile Pot-pourie

Everyone is using something different. Bring all your lures. No single lure has dominated yet. I've caught them on PK, Jigging Rapala, seen Puppet Minnows, Salmo, pimples, etc. everyday is different. Colors vary too. Good Luck & Good Fishing

Took a ride up to check my boat this morning. Decided while I was close to Catawba that I would swing around that way and see what was happening.

There were 2 trucks in the parking lot but no one was visible on land or on the ice. The one truck had a flat bed tilt trailer that was still tilted up indicating that that person had brought some form of transportation for on the lake. There was also a cargo trailer there.

Next I went up to the ferry dock and could visibly see 5 ice fishing shelters on the lake. They ranged from fairly close to Mouse and ran on an angle toward Green all 5 shelters were each separated by a considerable distance! The one farthest out was probably 1/3 to 1/2 way to Green.

I know it is not much, but me not being an ice man it is the best that I can do for you diehard ice guys! I am by no means claiming it is safe but only passing on my observations. So if you decide to go please use your own good judgment and experience, be careful first and then have a good time!!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Default Modis

Thanks wakina! Wasn't sure if the govt only gave you so many looks or something. I don't even think about the islands without a satellite image and weather report. Hoping to get out this weekend. Hopefully this cold spell came early enough in the week to get out this weekend.

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet or heard about it so I am again posting a link to a thread from another site. If this turns out to be a fact I would not feel good about myself if I did not at least warn you. Please all of you Ice Fishermen click on the link and check it out. The information in it could save you a big PIA or even your life and gear.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...d.php?t=247721

Like I said before I am not an Ice Man but I can still forward important information to those who are!! I don't want to see anyone hurt or suffer any type of a loss if it is preventable.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS