Catawba State Park Catawba State Park Catawba State Park Catawba State Park
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Catawba Sunday 1/12/14

Went out this am. Ice is good with some interesting spots. Seen quite a few weep holes but ice is 7" & only 1" is white crap ice in hole. Current was very strong today. Marcum LCD-5 had a difficult time marking lure. Swinging down current. Line got broke. Lost another, but friend got his 28 1/4" whopper on a chrome & blue salmo. We were 1.2 miles out of Catawba in direct line with Green Island. Slow day overall. Think we will have a great season. Long range forecast is to maintain existing ice and after 1/15/14 to build an additional 2-3"

Default ice report

Quote Originally Posted by jiginitis69 View Post
    Went out this am. Ice is good with some interesting spots. Seen quite a few weep holes but ice is 7" & only 1" is white crap ice in hole. Current was very strong today. Marcum LCD-5 had a difficult time marking lure. Swinging down current. Line got broke. Lost another, but friend got his 28 1/4" whopper on a chrome & blue salmo. We were 1.2 miles out of Catawba in direct line with Green Island. Slow day overall. Think we will have a great season. Long range forecast is to maintain existing ice and after 1/15/14 to build an additional 2-3"
    Thanks for detailed report. Nice to know distance, direction, conditions etc....I looked on a weather channel page and they were calling for above normal temps for next 10-14 days....according to jet stream. Hope that is wrong and Canada opens door and let's another one of those arctic blasts down. (For about a week with no wind!!). Not asking for much! I hope basin hangs in until temps back down....a lot of flowing water right now!

idk HOPPY, i watched the weather channel today and from what i saw, starting tuesday, temps will be back to normal to below normal for the next few weeks in the great lakes region. Highs averaging in the 20's and lows in the teens. Not really cold like last week but cold enough i think. lets hope so

Default weekend reports

Heres the report that came into me as of monday moring, good catches of walleyes off crane creek 1 to 2 miles out, report of some walleyes eater size inside of water intake, we fished bolles habor sunday, lots of guys 9 to 10 inches of ice, sat fishing was very good in afternoon, sunday slow till afternoon, bluegills and perch, hint, you must use one or 2 lb test line and extreme small jigs, mousie and wax worms, The Reel sport team.

The afternoons produced better off Catawba also

Default temps

Quote Originally Posted by hot-n-tot501 View Post
    idk HOPPY, i watched the weather channel today and from what i saw, starting tuesday, temps will be back to normal to below normal for the next few weeks in the great lakes region. Highs averaging in the 20's and lows in the teens. Not really cold like last week but cold enough i think. lets hope so
    I'm with you....got fingers and toes crossed! I just saw that (above normal temps) on one of the pages on weather channel app........I'll go with your forecast!

Talking

Do you think crane creek and a 4 wheeler will work? Any ice thickness report off there.
    Saterday lets get a group togeather to venture out and see.. Safty in #'s and bring a rope...

I'm in. Already have rope. Also Mustang Model MSD 901 immersion suit

So whats the chances Catawba SP area will be fishable this coming weekend? Wednesday, Thursday, Friday appear to be colder, so i got my fingers crossed. I can hardly beleive ppl went out today with temps bein near 50 degrees. Thats nuts lol

Saturday/Sunday should be fine. Fish are close in now. I would walk during week. I have no plans till Friday to venture. Lots of current with melt off. It's still early & I prefer to be safe. I test the ice every 1/4 mile & know to stay away from shoreline (Big current along cliff). Go west 500 yards before heading north & stay away from Airboat tracks.