toledo intake walleye toledo intake walleye toledo intake walleye toledo intake walleye

Default toledo intake walleye

fished north east and northwest of the intake yesterday evening. we took a two man limit on meat. double willows, single willow and a gold indiana blade caught fish. between 15 and 22 inches. 1.3 to 1.7 2oz 35 back and 3oz 20 back , for some reason the the 3 oz 20 back took like 9 fish. the heavier weight makes the inline lag some but thats the combo that worked. 22 ft of water visibility was proly 2 to 3 feet. pretty clean

Nice catch. We fished the same area and got 18 and 4 shorts. 2oz 45ft back. The white perch and bass were a PIA. Caught several before we got the boards clipped on.

Default No good on walleye, better on perch

Finally after a month, got my boat back out on water and fished that same area with LegalSkater on Monday 8/5. Trolled cranks and spoons in AM 2-3 hours but only had one hit and I managed to beat that walleye off Terry's line with my net at the boat! Trolled between A can and intake, then went into skinny water trolled that, then trolled over to intake and then out towards large pack forming out there. Finally at 11:30 we decided to run out to the pack and perch fish (we thought). Got out there and seemed half the folks were trolling for eyes. Sat down and immediately started picking up some decent perch on half minnows. Not on fire but steady slow pick and decent size. Ended up keeping about 30 before white bass and white perch took over and ruined our bite. With darkening skies to northwest we packed it in for dock mid afternoon. Lots of trollers going by but saw no nets in the water.

At cleaning station saw one guy with 2 limits of nice walleye. Asked where he got them- answer "north of intake". Asked how. Answer - "trolling cranks". Go figure. Another guy had a very nice mess of perch. Asked same. Answer "north of intake". Mentioned we were out there too in same area, but had to fight off a lot of trash. "Funny," he said, "We caught very little trash today." Go figure.

Still, after a month of crappy winds and weather, it was a beautiful day to be on lake with a great guy to fish with.

Ok rookie question here..when someone say,s 30 ft back does that meam drop rig down to bottom then let out 30 more feet? Or touch water surface an only let out 30ft..? I want to thank everyone for all tje help i have gotten in the past,and in the future..good bunch of people on here.

Default 30 back question

To the rookie question... "30 back" means that's how much line is let out before putting the rod in the holder or clipping it to the planer board line and letting it go out from the boat. Jets and dipsey divers run deeper the further you let out line so you can adjust the dept of your bait/lure by letting out different amount of line. There are charts to tell how deep the various divers/baits run at a given speed and line out. In general I would guess that a Jet 30 runs about 30 ft deep if you let out 100 ft, maybe 15 ft if you let out 50, etc. Dipseys differ a bit since they have a setting that allows them to run to the side. The more they run to the side the less the go down, so a 3 setting will be shallower running than a O setting, etc. You can do some trial and error by letting out enough that they hit bottom occasionally. Adjust half way to bring the bait/lure up half way in the water column, etc.

Hope that makes sense.

Where's the Toledo Intake?

Intake is out by cooley canal area..got gps cords is you want them

Quote Originally Posted by fish/n/chics View Post
    Ok rookie question here..when someone say,s 30 ft back does that meam drop rig down to bottom then let out 30 more feet? Or touch water surface an only let out 30ft..? I want to thank everyone for all tje help i have gotten in the past,and in the future..good bunch of people on here.
    30 ft. back can mean all sorts of lengths! One example would be someone who is using inline boards and says 30 ft back it would be from the board back plus however much line it would take to get the board the distance away from the boat that you would want. So the line back would be 30 ft. back from the surface(board attachment point to the diver or inline wt.) then the leader and lure/bait.

To duplicate that same depth with just the rod in the rod holder and in the vertical position(straight up) with no board you would have to compensate for the distance from the rod tip to where the line enters the water which could be as much as 15ft or more. If the rod would be horizontal then the distance from the rod tip to where the line enters the water would be shorter making for yet another calculation for the fisherman. Same theory would apply if the rod was lowered to just above the water making for yet another calculation by the fisherman to get the lures into the strike zone that they would be trying to achieve. My point is that 30 ft back from an inline board would be considerably deeper than 30 ft back from the rod tip in a rod holder and in the the vertical position and still some what deeper than a rod that is in the horizontal position and still a little deeper than a rod that was almost touching the water.

Those rod tip to where the line enters the water changes the need for the amount of line out and consequently depth differences that can and do determine the difference between success or failure!
    Last edited by wakina; 08-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Call me if you have any questions I will answer any questions you have 614.327.7144