Drifting for Walleye 101??? Drifting for Walleye 101??? Drifting for Walleye 101??? Drifting for Walleye 101???

Default Drifting for Walleye 101???

We go up perching a lot in the western basin (intake, "B" can, Kelly's). Would really like to try getting in to walleye. Got lucky one time throwing out a mayfly rig. Anyways... I really like the idea on drifting for them. I like the feeling the bite, but I don't really know where to start. What are some good spots? Do you need a drift sock? Speed? Mayfly rigs, worm harnesses, bottom bouncers, erie deeries? Any information would be good. Thank you in advance. I always try to post back to let people know how trips go.

Default check it out

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...d.php?t=192556

All the info you need about casting plus some .
    Good Luck

Default casting

I have wrote a few threads and some replies about how to's , when and where. Mid-May thru the end of the normal season ( late Oct ). Works best with some air moving. If its flat water, you can still cast but the boat doesn't move enough. This is where most people give up and start trolling. Calm water during early and mid summer the fish can be caught you just have to work for them harder and keep reeling. Erie Dearies will still work but I use my weapons with a big crawler. Weight andywhere from 1/2 to 1 oz. I have used 1 1/2 oz already but that was really deep water but it worked. I interchange spinner blades with color and style along with weight until we find a pattern. Last week I had 3/4 oz with Gold, 1 fish, then nothing, changed weight, nothing, changed blade color from gold to hot orange, wham. It was on with 1/2 oz and the hot orange blade. That day was near calm and fish where just off the bottom. Some guys say 8 to 12 count works all the time. A lot of days , yes. Cast and drift is like a pattern to figure like like trolling. Everyday is different. Locations ? Well , the fish move a lot but the later you get into summer the more predictable they are in location.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

gregnwtf , I am fairly new to Erie fishing so need to ask a question. I have never fished the weapons, in fact I had to do a search to see what they are. When you fish this bait, do you use a bare hook or do you put minnow or worm or plastic on it ? thanks..

Default bait

big nighcrawler. Either half or a whole crawler on a single hook. Keep the bait straight on the hook. If you bulk it up, they don't think it looks tight. Straight bait on the hook. Keep the hook inside the worm down to the ring of the worm the expose the point with one or two inch tail of worm it normally best but sometimes they like the whole worm. big worms do better, skinny the worms with no bulk just suck. Get good bait that the fish want.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]