New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling New to trolling

Thread: New to trolling

Default New to trolling

Just wanted some advice about equipment and tackle to get going in trolling. Bought a 17' Boston Whaler with 90hp Merc and this is what I have gathered so far.
    2 Sealine 27 without line counter outfits loaded with lead core
    2 Cabelas Depthmaster II outfits with braid
    2 Okuma 20 outfits that I am waiting to see what line I should use on them,
    2 Church Walleye planer boards with no flags
    2 Yellow Bird Side planer boards
    2 Amish trolling bags
    An assortment of Michigan stingers
    Hot n Tots, Wiggle Warts, a couple of Shad Raps, some worm harnesses, weight forward lures, and mayfly rigs.

What else do I need? My 8 year old boy is real excited to get going over Memorial Day weekend.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

it would help to know where you plan to fish to start with. i fished the western basin for years without line counter reels. but after moving to the central basin i found out line counters are really needed no matter where you fish. you want to try and have the same size reels and put the same amount of line on them. that way when you let out line and start catching fish you can put all your lures close to the same depth. if your going to use braid then you need to put a couple of hundred ft of mono on the bottom so your braid doesnt slip on the spool. and just use cheap mono as your backing and the more mono you use the less braid you have to use to fill your reels. just make sure you put enough braid on top to do the job. but just running inline boards you only need mono unless you just want braid. but if you run divers you really need braid so you can trip the divers from the boat.

if your fishing the western basin i would suggest you get some worm harnesses and some inline weights to get them down. go to rednekoutfitters.com and you can get inline weights and a dive chart for running them. the inline weights will also work on the central basin. but later in the summer i prefer to use divers. you can use dipsy,s or the deeper divers or the ones i choose to use, the lite bite slide divers. and you really need line counter reels to fish the inline weights or divers. it will just save you alot of head aches.

the more info you give us the better advice we can give you. hope something i,ve said helps you alittle.
    sherman
    Last edited by sherman51; 05-21-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Default New to Trolling

Sherman,
    Thank you for answers. Here is more information I forgot to ad in the last post.
    I plan to fish the Western Basin, and I dock in West Harbor so I can run east toward Huron or west toward the reefs (weather permitting). Not sure how that Whaler 17' is really going to handle a chop without breaking my back! Some of the other equipment I forgot to mention I bought are:
    One pair of the large Dipseys with the ring
    An assortment of Jet Divers in the 10 to 30 size in an array of colors.
    I was going to launch the boat Friday as had truck issues and had get new front brakes on the truck before I back down the ramp with that boat.

I had always heard you can get walleyes around Starve, and between Green and Rattlesnake, and just north of North Bass. I thought it may be safe to stay close to the islands with my 8 yr old boy on board in such a small boat. What do you all think? I have gotten help all the way through this matter with suggestions from people, so I continue to try to learn from you all
    Thanks,
    Bruce

im new to trolling as well and fish the western basin out of anchor point marina, only have few items couple dipsy's and jets dipsy size 0 and size 1 line counter reels rod holder all that

whats a normal set up for the dipsy i do know how to tie up harnesses and have blades and spoons

going out in the morning would be awesome to get some info before i head out so im not just doing things blindly

thanks everyone in advance !!!