keeping them alive keeping them alive keeping them alive keeping them alive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default keeping them alive

Still new to the site but here goes, i was in a bait store once get my minnows in my normal fashion, Minnow bucket and pump. When a older gentalmen came in and was also getting minnows but instead of a bucket he handed over a zip-lock bag with something inside of it, not sure what it was inside but was white maybe paper towles dry ice i dont know, but has anyone seen or heard of anything like this and the reason or purpose behind it ??

Sounds like he was about to do this..
    http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/ti...ed_minnows.htm

freddie

Thanks for your possible answer which is very much what he may have been doing, not so sure though i remember over hearing him i think that he was going out to fish and something about help keeping the minnows for the day with out getting mushy, i dont know but if there is something out there that would help with that when its so hot and putting ice in your minnow bucket to keep them firm or more alive i sure would love to have that info. You know how them darn things get when they get hot lol soft dont stay on the hook for nothing.

well sorry for babbling but thanks again Freddie for the in-put

Default keeping them alive

Anyone else hear of this from my earlier post on the Zip-Locked bag of minnows?

I google searched "minnow ziplock" and this was a result
    http://www.tonydean.com/equip7887.html?sectionid=203

I know what you mean about keeping the water cold. Typically Ill switch out the water in the bucket every couple hours with fresh lake water, and throw a little ice in too.

I still wonder if he wasn't just taking them home to brine them. I haven't ever done it, but I know that if you do it right, the minnows will be very firm, and keep their scales on. And you can freeze them until you're ready to use them.

Not sure what he was doing, but if you're looking for a solution to keeping shiners cool. Being cheap last year, I didn't purchase a minnow bucket. I have had around for years a 5gal bucket with a thick foam liner built into it. It has a foam lid that goes under the snap-on plastic lid. I used that last year and the water stayed ice cold all day long. I think this bucket was meant to be used as a bucket/cooler combo, but I swear by it for keeping shiners cold and alive! With it being the size of a 5gal it takes up more room but is much less likely to get kicked accidentally.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

All I use is a 5 gal bucket. WAY more stable in the boat that way. I will have to find one with that foam liner that you speak of...

Freddie and B-Can Man thanks again for both repling and we will keep our eyes open for more info or reasons for that bag i seen. B-Can i liked the same bucket for many years then lost it or broke it need to find one again

Never worked changing out the water with lake water always died

I searched for the bucket on the net and couldn't find exactly what I have. Closest I found was these foam inserts for inside of a 5 gallon bucket, which would turn one into almost exactly what I have.

These sell in packs of 6.

I was thinking that I saw one of my buckets at WalMart last fall, but I could be mistaken as I don't see it on their site.
    21ft Red Mirrocraft Open Bow w/ gray Evinrude 120 OB. Nicknamed "Sunny Daze".

Channel 79, hit me up. Can be caught perch'n or drift'n around the islands when I make it out.

Default Bucket

I just use a 5 gall bucket from home depot..haVe a good bubbler and keep ice going in,,plus it stays in the shade ..i never put my hands in into get min..i use a net.and then i always have a little pale to put the minnows in and use them from there....your hands in the bucket a no no...and keep water cold