Help with Daiwa Help with Daiwa Help with Daiwa Help with Daiwa

Thread: Help with Daiwa

Default Help with Daiwa

I need to replace 4 reels this year to make my new program work. But I'm confused on what the differance in the Daiwa 47lc are. Daiwa 47LC = 1.) Sealine, 2.) Sealine Great Lakes, 3.) Accudepth Plus, 4.) Accudepth Plus-B. Price range from $80 to $140. I assume they are differance some how to do to the price.
    Should I be looking for one more then the other? Thanks

i,ll try to help you out what i can. im not just sure what all the models are but i,ll tell you what i think and what i do know about them.

i believe the lc reels are just one of the earlier versions of the sealine sg series. but im just guessing here. i havent really used the lc model reels. the lc models are good reels and alot of them around. i use the sealine sg17lca and the accudepth plus 17lc reels. the sealine sg lca series reel is just alittle better reel than the accudepth plus but not alot better. daiwa made the older accudepth lc models for people that just didnt want to spend the money for the sealine. but they got alot of complaints on the accudepth lc reels so they upgraded it to the accudepth plus reel. and the plus reels seem to be a much better reel than the earlier models.

i use the accudepth plus on one side of my boat and the sealines on the other side of my boat to run my divers for walleyes. one seems to work just as good as the other, but i have heard the sealines will last longer and give you less trouble than the accudepth plus. i havent had any problems with either reel yet, but i have only been running them for a few yrs and i dont get to do alot of fishing. so they havent really been tested alot.

if i had to recommend one of them it would be the sealine sg lca series. i bought all my reels one winter on ebay. i bought some on buy it now but most were on auction. i paid anywhere from 54.00 to 65.00 for the sealine sg17lca reels. i just watched a sg27lca new reel sell on ebay for 56.00. its a good place to get some good prices but you have to put in your time and watch for the size reel you want.

i could be wrong about this but i believe the b added to the end just means its the saltwater version. but i believe they are switching all there sealine and accudepth line counter reels to the ones with the b on the end.

to sum it up in my opinion the accudepth plus is a good reel for the price. but if you can get the sealine sg lca reels you,ll be better off in the long run. and for fishing the great lakes or any freash water the b series reels isnt really needed but isnt going to hurt anything. but again most of this is just my opinion. maby others can explane it alot better than i can.
    sherman

The following statement is not in any way ment to bash the Daiwa line of reels.But is is the true experience that I have had with their products. I did not get the reels repaired or replaced with another one as they were brand new and I don't have time for inferior products that should work when they are still new. I have 2 Accudepth plus reels in the 17 size and I had 2 Sealine reels sg17lca. I bought all 4 at Bass Pro shops. On the very first trip and the first fish, one of the sealines would not lock up, you could wind the fish in but as soon as you would let go of the handle it would allow line to run back off the reel. I took it back to BPS and had the power pro line that was on it wound onto 1 of the 2 Shimano Tekota 300LC reels that I purchased that day. The second one lasted 2 years, one year of which it was in storage in the rod rack in my shed at my camper, and it gave out last year with the same problem, the line from that reel is now on another Tekota 300lc reel. I still have the accudepth reels but one of them you have to release the lever to let line off then roll the spool back with your thumb or finger to get the spool to disengage the other one is still working properly. So now I have 4 Tekota 300 lc reels and love them and have had no problems with them. I only use the Diawa reels when I need extra rods in the water. I wish now I had kept the Okuma Convector reels that I sold when I purchased the Diawa reels. They are still going strong. They would have been great reels for extra lines and as backup.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-21-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

The boat I bought last summer that came with 2 Okuma Convector CV-20D and honestly I wasn’t too impressed. Drags seemed like you had to crank on them to maintain a normal tension. Before that I used the Daiwa Great Lakes, but that was 15 yrs. ago. So going into this season I was going to scan ebay for the right deal. (Need 4 more) This will allow me to have 6 total.

wakina really sorry to hear you have had problems with your daiwa reels. now when i first got mine i spooled them with new power pro line. then when i went to erie fishing i had nightmares with some of my reels. it was so bad i sent the ones i was having problems with to tuna toms at tunasreeltroubles.com. the only problem he found was the braided line was slipping on the spools. just made me tighten the drags down thinking the drags wasnt holding. he put pins in the arbors to tie the line to, which fixed these reels.

so i started all over i now put 200 ft of 17 lb mono backing on my reels then put 450 ft of braid on top of the backing. i havent had any problems with any of my reels since i started using a mono backing for my braid.

from what i,ve heard compairing daiwa reels to the tekotas is like apples and peaches. but the price of the tekotas are just out of reach for most of us fisherman. by buying my reels off ebay i probably got all 14 of my daiwa reels for what 4 of the tekotas would have costed me. you can get the tekota reels on ebay for around 170.00 each up to over 200.00 each. you can get the daiwas new for the sg lca reels around 100.00 each and the adp lc reels for around 70.00 each. but if you watch ebay you can get them for much less.

and as for the okuma convector reels they are also good reels for the price. i would put them in the middle between the sg lca reels and the adp lc reels. but i wouldnt recommend the okuma magda reels to anyone. they will work but not as good as any of the other reels here. if you can afford the tekotas i would recommend them first. if your on my budjet i recommend the sg47lca then the convector in whatever size you need then the accudepth plus 47 lc. right now is a good time to buy off ebay, as you dont have to buy anything, you can shop around for good buys. you have all winter to find the reels you want.

the one thing i will say is if you buy from ebay be sure and check them out very good when you first get them. even if they are new or like new. if they are not as described you can file a dispute if you have to go that far and ebay will get your money back or get the reel replaced. i bought 7 of the sg17lca reels and 7 of the adp17lc reels and i got one sg17lca that if you turned loose of the handle it would turn backwards letting it pay out line. i contacted the seller and he paid to have it fixed. i didnt even have to file a dispute. he told me to get it fixed and he refunded my money to pay for shipping and the repair. but dont wait to long to file a dispute, you only have 45 days from purchase date. but the reel only had one part that had been put back in backwards. it only costed a couple of bucks to get it fixed. the shipping round trip was 16.00. so shipping it costed more than the repair.

and i do recommend you get all the same size reel for whatever you plan to use them for. then put the same amount of line on each reel. if you use braid be sure it has a line tie pin or use a mono backing. something elce i have heard will work is to use tape on the bottom of your spool. but i,ll stick with the mono backing, that way i dont have to use as much braid.

good luck and good fishing to you all.
    sherman

With the exception of the Tekota's All the others have a measureed 20 yards of 20 lb mono. The Tekota's have a pin as you describe already on the arbor. I also have 4 okuma magda pros and athough they all still work they all have issues and I cannot Recommend them to anyone. I went thru the line slipping on the arbor with them when I first started using them and corrected that with the mono also.
    Yes you are right the Tekota's are pricey, they can be had for about $150.00 on Ebay and they run $179.99 for the 300lc series at both Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops which is at least 2 times the cost of the Diawas. Bass Pro Shop would have exchanged the Diawa for me but I decided against that because a day on the water cost at a minimum $50.00 bucks with gas and other required expences and a trip to BPS cost an addional $20.00 and at the time I was very angry at Diawa for the breakdown and did not want to get another broken new reel. So to me, at least at that time, having equipment that is not trustworthy had added to the cost of that day in lost fishing time and disapointment Not to mention the time it takes for the shipping, repair and return of the reel which was brand new. But like I said I am not bashing Diawa Reels but I am relating for the members my personal experience with them and why I changed brands. I usually do not recommend any particular Manufacturer and that decision should be up to who ever is spending their money on that product. I am sure that their have been similar incidents with Tekota's as well but they did not happened to me. I do have several Diawa spinning reels and am more than satisfied with them.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip