recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action recent walleye action
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default slow

Walleye action slow the last couple weeks wast of the islands. A couple reports from Canadian islands and reefs did ok. Not great after these fronts of cool weather and winds hamper the bite. Perch has been the best option of course and the bass have been biting also but Canadian waters are the best option. 30 foot of water north of the reefs is producing a few walleye and a few big ones are around. A 27 incher taken on a bouncer over the weekend so its slow but the big ones are starting to move back. Water temp mid 60's and the algae is making the water green and the calm water will get the surface sort of soupy on top. Perch size has varied but good overall averages. May be winterizing early this so only a few weeks left. Minnows are plenty at the bait shops.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default fall fun

Nice overall size perch this year.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default Perch and big eyes

Took a nice limit of Perch Sunday 13th. kept 8 to 11.5 inch fish for boat limit. Found clean clear water near Canadian border 18 miles from the dock. Hardly any boats around me ( 2 ). A little lumpy but great bite. Lay the crappie type rig flat on the bottom with slack line, wait then ever so slowly lift till ya feel wight or a plick. That method took the biggest of fish and many doubles. Not one junk fish the entire time which was amazing. Wind layed about 1 pm and warmed up. Tried some trolling but the walleye didn't want to play on the west side of the islands area I was in. One guy got a few just south of the area that I quit and some eyes were taken in the open flats way east of the islands. Big stickbaits would be the choice bait set at the fish depth. Perch fishing was great this week and may change again with some windy days coming this week. Saturday this coming weekend looking pretty ugly for me to go again so will hope for better days on the last weekend of Oct for the final shot at some jumbos for the taxidermy man. Good luck and be safe. 2013 was a great season overall, some great days and a few slow days but that's just fishin.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default Perch for the wall

Late fall over the line for the big yellow perch. Been great fishing the deep structure as usual. 9-14 inch with most fish averaging 11.5 inches. 2 perch to the live weight pound. Spreaders and crappie type rigs at just the right position just off the bottom and wait for the nudge of a bite. The size has been so good that I decided to take 3 of them to the taxidermy guy today from Sundays catch. A few smallmouth bass as well biting but the perch rule. Mostly limits of perch stuffing the coolers. Just plain good fall fishing. The walleye are big right now also and holding in the deep waters east of the islands and a few scattered around every island, reef and deep structure. Some eyes being taken from shore wading and casting in low light for those who want the cold experience but the big ones like the dark light for feeding. Caught my first Fish Ohio walleye this way many years ago. Only a couple boats out Sunday, nice day to fish but most boats are out of the water.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default ice

2 to 6 inches of ice around PIB.That will thicken fast over the next week. Some fish being caught as well. 2nd hand report.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default big ones

Fishing has been spotty. Size is 15 to 31 inches. Swd. pimples with chome blue and green. Blades working slso. Take shiners and try lots of holes. Alot of ice lying on top plus snow. Windy conditions this morning kept guys off the ice. A buddy took a limit yesterday for 2 guys trying to film a sport show.
    Myself , am blowing and shoveling snow in town and working. 2 months till the season begins on the soft water. Ground hog said 6 weeks of the white stuff so I am am on the hunt to change his mind.
    All summer charter letters sent out and now just waiting for the thaw.
    Will be throwing jigs be we know it !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default spawners staging

Lots of reports of nice catches of walleye lately. Incredible ice season to say the least. Some open water south of Kellys and PIB area. The deeper water way off the reefs is holding plenty of fish that are heading for the prespawn locations all over the western basin. Once the ice is gone it should be a bonzi jigging season. If the winds are average during the spring, the fish will move shallow to do their thing. Would be good to do some early fishing in water less than 13 feet. One year we started in 6 feet of water right in front of the marinas in the early mornings. Lots of ice to melt but this coming week looks to have a warmer trend by Friday. One date left for late April for a morning trip unless somebody wants Easter weekend. Sunday April 27th for a morning trip or weekend evenings during April, do a 4 hour twilight jigging trip $450. Thats 6 people, all gear provided. Sunday May 18th is the next open day.
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 03-08-2014 at 03:17 AM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default Ice out trips

April Ice out fishing on western Lake Erie. The marinas and lake are opening up and its time to get those walleye that hang around the reefs. Some nice fish taken this week close to shore by some guys who got out the other day. Looking to be a long jigging season this year because of cooler water temps that could hang around to mid May.
    Call for open April dates. May, June and July dates very limited but a couple days are open each month for summer casting or trolling.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default jigging

Early morning and afternoon for best action. Take minnows and darker colored jigs. We caught with black, black/purple, white/purple, greens. Some took just stinger and alot took big hook. Sweeping action and snap action with mono line was better than braid but thats what it was. Action near our marina and a couple miles east and NE. 9 to 15 ft. Watch the muddy streaks and find the slightly cleaner water as it would be warmer than the super clear water out a few miles. Maumee river producing some fish over the weekend as well.
    Water temp on the boat for us was mid 40s.
    That fresh walleye tasted pretty good !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default jigging

Its all in the wrist. Some feel it , some don't. This makes or breaks your day.
    I had pretty good feel Saturday morning as I caught my personal limit within a couple hours with 3/4 oz. black \ purple with fake meat (Gulp). Lift the jig less than a foot then follow it back to the bottom. They grab it on that slower drop. Water temp is 49. Back at it next Sat n Sun.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]