Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch Fishing

There are still bitin like crazy off sturgeonl. Was out there yesterday and saturday. Did pretty good. bigger minnows for bigger perch, just less action. I dead stick a roach. Smaller minnows for better action and the occassional jumbo. I used one of my midwest river flies on a 3 way with a bit of crawler. Got smoked quite a few times. Was gonna try a phelps floater next.
    Last edited by Mark Komo; 09-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Anyone getting minnows at the foot of Ferry st. & is there any good size to them? Anyone still doing good on the eyes? Thanks

went to the ft ferry this about 9 am not many there and small couple weeks i think that or early or just before dark yellowpike1 OUT

Went out of sturgeon this morning. Headed west. Met up with a ton of boats in 69 fow. Perch were all over and thick but small. They were suspended at 55-60. Caught a few keepers but would lose them at the boat. Lots of 7-8inchers. Must have caught a 150+ fish. Line would hit the bottom flip the bail closed and boom doubles almost every time. All on minnows. Gave up there and headed to silver creek. 58fow. Some boats were there also. Then we started to catch keepers. Biggest was 14in. There's a lot of bait out there right now. On the surface and down deeper. In fact they were so thick at times you could feel the school swim into the lines. Interesting side note. All the fish out at 69fow were spitting up crushed and half digested zebra mussels. They were full of them. When we moved down to silver creek, the perch were spitting up small gobys and minnows. One hacked up a 5 inch smelt (I think it was.) Also got a few white perch mixed in and one fatty sheepie out at 70ft.
    Last edited by copo427ss; 09-03-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Fix

Copo we were out this morning also, launched right at 6:30am, headed west and ended up in 64-66 ft of water, man we crushed them today as well. Weird thing was they started small, maybe first 10 between 2 of us, and I'm thinking o no here we go again, but then the majority of them got bigger, lots of 10-12 inchers and 13s and a few 14s as well. We never moved, non-stop action just like you said. As soon as bait nears the bottom they were hitting it, it was crazy easy! Some throwbacks but the majority of fish were keepers. We had a cooler full best perch day this year just got lucky right spot I guess. We headed back in at 11am it got hot and I was just sweating, lake was very calm. My friend also pulled up a sheephead as well, probably 12-15 inches or so.

I was marking fish all day long, they were constantly moving in and out, but lots of fish weren't suspended, they were on the bottom 2 feet of lake it seemed. Lots of fish had minnows in their mouths but I figured those were the ones stealing my bait lol. Sometimes schools moved in that were "thicker", and we would catch a small one. I could see many boats out deeper than we were. Next time if we are out together we should compare notes to see how deep they are. I used both salted and live shiners. (2 hooks)

Did you see that baja that launched? I was putting the boat on the trailer when he fired it up man that thing was loud. His yellow truck had air brakes, trailer was a triple axle.

Also some jet-skier was launching his boat, still had his jet ski strapped to the trailer, he started driving away from ramp and there goes jet ski getting dragged almost up ramp

YES - I have seen that yellow baja. It has over 2,000 hp. I have dreams about it. I know someone that knows that owner. He told me if that boat goes from SP to Sunset and back. Twice. It's $500.00 in fuel. He has to run a higher octane. He cruses at 95 mph.
    I wonder if can troll?

Yeah my buddy and I watched him launch, and he turns to me and goes, he just used more gas to launch than we used all day LOL

I wonder how loud it is on the boat itself. I'm guessing most of the noise blows back and it isn't quite as bad, but I bet its still loud.

Not that loud in the boat. Almost all the noise blows back. We heard him go out. I could hear the blower whine. Could see what it was. We used to run fast boats like that. My buddy had a cat that dud 128.9 in the west river. Back when fuel was cheap. The truck is a f650 super cruiser with a I 6 turbo catapilar in it. It gets 5-7 mpg.
    I saw you in shallower. I should have moved in closer. Since in 60 fow at silver is where we got bigger ones. Don't know why I stayed out with all the boats catching throwbacks. You were the only boat.

He seemed to know his business getting the boat launched, backed right down and pulled the trailer out nice and fast, and launched right away, I have to say I was impressed with that. That truck and boat combo, only in america! I didn't even know they made a 650 holy cow. It was a spectacle, fun to watch. Would be fun to try it out once as well I think.

If you saw a older red cuddy cabin boat that was me. Actually it's pretty chalky right now, and I have a white johnson kicker on it. Eventually name on the boat will be the Red Pearl, kind of like the black pearl old and beat up haha.

If I had come out 1/2 hour later, I may very well have ended up starting out deeper like the other boats. When we got out there I only saw 3 boats, and as soon as my depth hit 68 feet I cut the engine back from full throttle and started looking for perch.

By the way copo I talked with a friend of mine who was out fishing in 75 ft of water on monday and the two of them all caught a gazillion small 7-8 inchers. He ended up with 4 keepers. I don't think I'll be able to get out this weekend at all. Were you on the radio at all? I listened on 68 off and on didn't hear a whole lot.