Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch Fishing

Various sizes, some 1+ #ders. most average size.

That's good news! I don't really like to keep them until they are usually 10 inches or so. Mostly what I caught sat were 8 inchers, not really worth it.

Last friday I got minnows at the foot of ferry myself, same situation not many. Took a bunch of dips to get some, and they weren't really that big.

The bait shop in derby still has emeralds for sale.

Thumbs down

Yeah I don't keep smaller ones either. Even if you get a bunch. By the time ur done filleting them you have small fillets. And by the time they shrink up in the frying pan. Theyre more like fish bites than fish sticks or fillets lol. So I try n keep the 10 inch rule myself. Now back when I was a kid, at the cottage on Wolfe island. Anything under 12inches was thrown back. Sometimes grandpa wouldn't let anyone keep anything under 13 or 14 inches. And you'd fill an onion bag full in a couple hours. But you don't find jacks up there anymore. I think the VHS virus hit hard up there for a long time, before they caught onto it in the great lakes.

Copo, gramps wouldn,t let you keep 14"ers, how big were the keepers?! That had to be a pretty nice onion bag of fish!
    Last edited by lineman49; 08-29-2012 at 03:44 PM.

The name doesn't sound familiar. But my grandparents might know who he is. There cottage is in irving bay off 16th line rd. yeah there were evening where you would catch solid 15+ inch fish as fast as you could get the minnow to the bottom. He would look at the bag after a few hrs of fishing and say ok that's it. We still gotta clean all these. Lol. You didn't always get huge perch. But if we got on a school that were consistently big. Everything under 13-14 inches was tossed back. But average catches were 12 and up. The fun part was you weren't open water fishing. You would go down to a place called high banks, it has a steep drop off almost straight down right off shore, and anchor in 50fow. They weren't always there in numbers, but when they were it was a blast. Especially when ur a kid

30 years ago we used to catch perch like that ice fishing over at conesus lake, back before everyone had huts to wimp out in lol. Not that many though, I remember catching a dozen and being happy with it. Those days are long gone as well.

Anytime you have a mound of fish staring at you waiting to be cleaned it becomes a lot of work, whether they are walleye or perch. And the small one that looked ok to keep on the boat now look a lot smaller and I tell myself, why did I keep that one. LOL

That's going to be me someday probably closer than I realize, taking the grandkids on erie fishing for perch, ok that's enough, now go swimming!

Anyone been perch fishing lately?

Default Dec site

Anglers report heavy schools of yellow perch between Cattaraugus Creek and Sturgeon Point, 10 to 15 feet thick on the bottom in some spots. Perch catches have been very good, with some anglers reporting non-stop action and easy limits. Emerald shiners, salted shiners and even worms have worked well in 58-69 feet of water.

This came off the dec website hotline for this week

I plan on getting out tomorrow am out of sturgeon, can't wait.

I think I'm heading out too