Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing Perch Fishing
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Perch Fishing

Default perch gill nets

Go to U-tube & check out the " Lake Erie yellow perch gill nets out of Port Stanley" video, lots of big ones!
    Last edited by lineman49; 08-10-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Amazing ! Your getting me pumped up for perching.

Cool Anyone Been Perch'n Lately?

Have'nt been out for a couple weeks and then I was chasing eye's. Going to take the kid out again on Sunday. Went down to Erie PA. with my bro-inlaw (Pete/NY) and we were fishing in 57fow on wednesday where we did pretty well. I was thinking of SP and heading a little west to 60fow for a start. If anyone has a better starting point, any info is helpfull. Thanks in advance!!!
    Good Fishin Everyone!!!!!!!

I was out this morning to run my boat finally with exhaust and outdrive repair work done for some testing and she ran great it was good to be back on erie again. I went to a spot that was productive last year, almost 4 miles nwish from sturgeon point close to the canadian border but caught only 1 perch. (61 feet) I didn't fish very long, but still should have caught a good 1/2 dozen or so I figured. (was by myself) I was marking fish on the bottom, but they just weren't hungry. (was using live emeralds and also a few goldens and a nightcrawler on two poles) Not real big schools though. Probably are hitting right now because I'm back home haha. There was almost nobody perch fishing from what I saw, and I did buzz around here and there running the motor. When I launched I thought there was going to be a fight for a bit some people were "exchanging words"...

Wave buoy info did not match what was happening out there. I drove out in 2 foot waves in the morning 7:30am, some whitecaps even. By the time I headed in, it was pretty calm I would say about 6 inch waves. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but it was very noticeable driving the boat, and the buoy registered the same wave height more or less thoughout the whole time.
    Last edited by wnyguy; 08-18-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Cool

wnyguy......That bouy has led me wrong a few times also. It is not a live update. I think it could be hourly and we all know how the lake can change in an hour. Good thing is that your back on the water!! Those launch sites can get hostile on the weekends. They should have vallet launching for some folks, lol.... It sounds like you hit the area I was thinking of. I have some waypoints saved from earlier this year so the hunt will be on for those tasty little fellas. When you getting back out now the you have your boat back? Hope we have a good fall and we get to use our toys alot! Good Fish'n!!!!!

report on another forum said they where getting perch in 69 ft straigth out of point brezzse pineheads and frozen emeralds hope this helps gonna try next week yellowpike1 out

Today would have been nice but no luck, I may try and evening perch run sometime this week, have you guys fished afternoons like that for perch at all?

If I were going again I think I would go to 70 feet just like yellowpike mentioned, just to see what is going on out that deep. See how the walleye guys are catching some perch over 70 - 80 feet of water?

Also the derby bait shop was selling both emeralds and goldens, and they were small just an fyi. (at least they had emeralds!)

Yeah that buoy is updated every hour, and it's an average that is calculated, but I still think it was off for whatever the reason.

I was out this morning made the run to outside of point breeze campground from sturgeon, it's about a 6 to 7 mile run via the water. I fished from 68 to 76 feet of water and it was non-stop action. Only problem was they were all small. Fish finder basically was showing huge schools of perch along the bottom all over the place, and more or less as soon as I was dropping bait (emeralds) I was getting hits, very light all small fish. I moved 3 or 4 times trying to find larger schools but no luck. Had a few doubles, was reeling them up thinking I got a nice jack perch, haha Nope! One of my doubles included a big white bass that was fun.
    Waves were a little big once I got out there but then things calmed right down. I would have like to try even deeper (80) but not enough time.

3 friends went straight out in front of SP. this AM. & got 137 perch in 62fow. They got sm. minnows at ft. of ferry st., not many there.

Quote Originally Posted by lineman49 View Post
    3 friends went straight out in front of SP. this AM. & got 137 perch in 62fow. They got sm. minnows at ft. of ferry st., not many there.
    Did they mention any size to the fish they were catching?