snagging snagging snagging snagging

Thread: snagging

Default snagging

On our last trip up i hooked about ten walleye right in the side of the face and a few under the jaw. could it be that these fish are coming in on the jig and not having time to take it? am i working the jig to fast perhaps? this last time up was the worst but i have been hooking fish in the face all spring. what do you guys think?

I am new to jigging for walleye, but I have been having the same problem. Some friends who have jigged for a while made the same observation. I don't know why, though.

I was told years ago that this is the result of a defensive strike by the fish during the spawn. The fish is attempting to push the lure out of its area not necessarily eat it. Not sure if this is true but seems to make sense.

Baha299

Default slow

Slow down for sure. They are looking at it but then you have yanked it away.
    The defensive thing is right. Protecting the area and they try to beat it and kill it with a body part. I get that feel alot, kind of feels like morse code. They are there just give them more time and do more short hops and see if that triggers a good bite after they try to kill it. You are trying to piss them off.
    This a normal thing that happens during spawn. Keep at it.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]