Reef Runner leader Reef Runner leader Reef Runner leader Reef Runner leader
  1. Default Reef Runner leader

Im going to be trolling reef runners soon using braided line. I heard it would be better if I used a snap swivel and a leader made out of mono. My question would be how long and what size line. Also with the swivel set up what max poundage for the swivel.

If you use the very small sized sampo micro swivel you can use as much as you want in the way of a leader. Alot of guys will use 50 foot of mono infront of the braid. Some will go as short as 6 or 7 foot and use a little bit of a bigger swivel. This length will give you some cushion and still allow you to reel the fish and net it without the swivel stopping the line. Some say the leader acts as a shock absorber and helps you hook up with the fish better. I did it for several years using the micro swivel and mono but just got tired of it. Honestly, I do not notice a big difference in the amount of fish I lose. I think if you pin point your speed to the fishes mood then you get better hook ups. Meaning if the fish are slower and you are seeing fish come off in the net, maybe slow a tenth and see what happens. I think that is more critical. Many will debate how the mono and braid out fish one another but if I had to fish one and had just one all around setup it would be braid as it is more versatile in allowing you to better trip dipsies and works better with jets plus all your other stuff.

Default reef runner leader

been running fireline since it came out with no leader,just a snap swivel to lure and no problems
    Last edited by jake1; 04-24-2012 at 03:56 PM.

4. Default thanks

thanks for your input I cant wait to get out there and troll. Dose anyone know a good area to troll reef runners and what size runners to troll.

Default reef runner

if you fish out of lorain start at sand bar straight out of beaver north

alittle more info on where you fish and if your using divers or flatlining or using inline weights would help alittle. i fish the central basin and use divers. so i use braid to the divers then i use seaguar 20 lb floro for my leaders, i use about 7 to 9 ft of the floro. but i believe using that lb leader i get alot more hits with floro over mono. if im fishing the western basin and just flatlining with cranks or using inline weights with harnesses i drop down to a 15 lb leader. but i still use seaguar floro leaders. just the way i fish. doesnt make it the right way. if im just flatlining then i just tie the braid to the floro with a good blood knot.
    sherman
    Last edited by sherman51; 04-25-2012 at 08:54 AM.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
    If you use the very small sized sampo micro swivel you can use as much as you want in the way of a leader. Alot of guys will use 50 foot of mono infront of the braid. Some will go as short as 6 or 7 foot and use a little bit of a bigger swivel. This length will give you some cushion and still allow you to reel the fish and net it without the swivel stopping the line. Some say the leader acts as a shock absorber and helps you hook up with the fish better. I did it for several years using the micro swivel and mono but just got tired of it. Honestly, I do not notice a big difference in the amount of fish I lose. I think if you pin point your speed to the fishes mood then you get better hook ups. Meaning if the fish are slower and you are seeing fish come off in the net, maybe slow a tenth and see what happens. I think that is more critical. Many will debate how the mono and braid out fish one another but if I had to fish one and had just one all around setup it would be braid as it is more versatile in allowing you to better trip dipsies and works better with jets plus all your other stuff.
    +1...........
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    http://www.roughhousecharters.com

8. Default

i live in toledo Just moved here. Ill be fishing out of mickeys marina in that area by the toledo light house. If any of you guys live close to toledo I would be glade to take you out on my boat so you can show me the ropes.

Dont use a swivel just the snap. this way it wont let the plug roll as easily at faster speeds and it will keep its action.