New Law New Law New Law New Law
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Law

Quote Originally Posted by forefathers View Post
    They only filed charges for the 29 fish. Dna test would cost odnr to much to pursue. Either way this law will only make people on this board better..and more apt to turn in people over the limit. We all need to do our part.
    And what do you think it is going to cost them to litigate this law in court when they start writing tickets to those of us in our summer homes enjoying a fish fry? My permanent home is 50 miles away. I for one will fight any citation for eating legally caught fish on my patio at my summer home tooth and nail, yes as written it makes that fishfry illegal. I have always followed the game laws and expect every one else to also. Please explain how this law will make those of us who already follow the fish and game laws A better sportsman... I have never in the past had any trouble turning in poachers and I certainly didn't need this law to make me more efficent at it. This is an ill concieved law targeting as you say out of staters and in so doing has gathered in all of us who have our summer homes along the shores of lake Erie. The passage and enforcement of this law has done nothing and will do nothing to stop those who would poach or over bag fish, all it has done is make it an offence to have non identifiable fish in your freezer, with that we are back to square one, without the number of fish actually in the freezer they could only write one ticket for one fish as they would have noway of knowing how many or what species of fish were in the freezer. What it has done or will do is punish the 95+% of fishermen who follow the game laws.

Disclaimer: I am in no way advocating that only out of state fishermen are guilty of over bagging. There are just as many residents who over bag also. Out of state fishermen/sportsmen add a large chunk to our economy along the shores of Lake Erie and we all appreciate it and they deserve the right to fish here.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-04-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: add disclaimer
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

If this is such an issue where the DNR needs to address, we must make them enforce the laws on the water. Their presence at the mouth of each harbor on a regular basis would definitely make a statement. Those of us fishing legally shouldn't have a problem with that ( especially the charter captains that have always followed the rules). I would rather get checked coming off the water than having to jack up my fish cleaning process. Also, I am from out of state. I used to fish in Canada but their crazy rules have driven me away. I love Ohio fishing and will keep spending my money there until their DNR screws it up

I have a question..maybe one of yall can answer.. Say i catch a limit of perch and filet them and leave the skin. do i also have to package each one of them separately so they could count them. If so this could get expensive since i vacuum seal my fish. i usually put them in one pound bags.. I hope i read the post wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by 200 Nitro View Post
    I have a question..maybe one of yall can answer.. Say i catch a limit of perch and filet them and leave the skin. do i also have to package each one of them separately so they could count them. If so this could get expensive since i vacuum seal my fish. i usually put them in one pound bags.. I hope i read the post wrong..
    I imagine as long as they are not frozen and they could squish (is that a word?) around to get a count you should be all right. I am not sure how good of a vacuum sealer you use so they may or may not be able to get a count on 1 lb of perch filets.

Default Odnr

Of the odnr would just Put in the time at the docks checking fish this law would not be necessary. I was stopped three times last year once by water patrol two more times by odnr. they searched my boat all three times. They never even asked to see the fish in my cooler I think they spend to much time harassing the young people on the water I have been fishing the lake for 10 years and have been running my own boat for the last 6. I don't mind being stopped just feel like they are not looking for fish. I am not sure if it is just me that feels like our officers could send there time looking for the people that are over the limit of fish when they come off the lake

We need to get a clarification on the law!

I only have one problem with the regulation as written. It forces me to break the law if I decide to have a fish fry at my summer home! I will not eat or cook a walleye wth the skin on. Will I get caught and be issued a citation? Probably not! This law is probably like the laws that say you cannot consume alcohol at State campgrounds, I was told by the ODNR Parks/Campground Officer at a State Campground that as long as they couldn't see it (said to put it in a colored cup) and we remained civil not a bunch of drunken fools, that they would leave us alone. But if they saw a beer can/bottle or liquor bottle, empty or not, anywhere at our campsite we would be cited!

Out of state sportsmen will have to freeze their catch with the skin on in such a way as to be able to count the number of fish they are transporting back home. Originally I thought the law limited you to one days catch but there is no reference to the amount of fish in possesion just that they must have the skin attached while transporting you still must adhere to the daily limit. So as long as you would have some sort of proof that would show how long you have been here in Ohio and fishing (campground, charter boat, motel , lodging receits) you very well may be legal. This would be one of the areas that needs clarification!

Thanks to all who have PM, Emailed and called me in support on this matter! Makes an old fart like me feel good and I have not had one cross comment or contact from anyone.

Disclaimer: The above post is only my opinion and should be used and treated as such!
    Last edited by wakina; 03-05-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: took out the campground name to protect the officers!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I have a call into the odnr and had to leave a message. If i get any answers i will pass the info along.

Quote Originally Posted by just is View Post
    Of the odnr would just Put in the time at the docks checking fish this law would not be necessary.
    I Agree. I live 200 miles from the lake. I made 7 trips to the lake last year and never had my fish checked once. Heck for that matter, I never saw ODNR at the ramp once.
    So unless they add a bunch of officers, how is this gonna make any difference on keeping people from over limiting? A fish at the dock is a fish at the dock.
    Do they really think the overall Walleye population is being effected by over limitting? In the big picture it doesn't equate to a drop in the bucket. If it's the walleye population they want to address then address it in a manner that will help and work. Another bone head move by Ohio. That's just my .02 cents.

Angry What is the legal limit????

What is the legal amount of fish you are allowed to take home with you(say I buy a nonresident lic. for a year, fish for a week 7 days at camp but only fish 5 days) How many fish can I transport home legally, one days catch or 5 days worth of limits, now I'm confused? with the skin on the whole fillet one side per bag? I know in canada you are only allowed one days catch across the boarder, is this the case in ohio now? if that is the case the 6 walleyes im allowed to take home would cost about $300.00 a pound !!! I don't mind leaving the hide on the fillet (canada requires a 1 inch square patch) leaving the whole side on is ridiculous

I do not live near the lake, nor do I own a boat, and don't see this as much of a problem for me but,

Lets say I take a charter with 5 friends and the limit is 6 eyes per man, so we take home 36 fish. The charter I have been on is more than willing to catch the captain and first mates limit that we keep, so that brings the fish total to 48.

We follow the letter of the law and skin them at home. We then freeze the meat and a week later get in the car with 8 pounds of clean meat to fry at a friends house.

On my way there ODNR pulls me over...